Author Topic: Graham's of Cumberland  (Read 100279 times)

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham's of Cumberland
« Reply #36 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,  I learnt yesterday that the Grahams owned all the land from Solway Firth down to Harker area.  Sir James Grahams grandfather Charles was the last one to live in the hall.  Early 1900s was when the land was divided up.  As you know they did own Sunnyside Kirklinton Sandysike etc.  Lady Grahams email is email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange personal email addresses - thankyou which is advertised in the parish magazine for a holiday cottage let.  I really dont know what response you will get.  Let me know how you get on.  Jessy
ps. have you been to Arthuret church and seen all the Graham plaques???  

Offline HiFly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
For the sake of all - when putting someone's e-mail address on to a public forum - can I respectfully suggest that forumites use the convention of :

name (at) isp_provider (dot) co (dot) uk (*)

as an example so that spam bots don't pick them up and use them.

Suggest Moderator edits previous post to reflect this - I'm sure Lady Selena Graham would NOT appreciate loads of spam!!

HiFly

(*) Moderator Comment: Sorry, HyFly, you meant well, but RootsChat policy is not to show any private e-mail addresses in postings.
To Everybody, Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.

[/color]
KENNEDY - Bewcastle/Stapleton, Cumberland
& Haltwhistle, Northumberland
VALLIS/VALLAS/VILLIS - Everywhere in UK
SHAW - Liverpool
WRIGHT - Canada & Liverpool
ELLIS - Wiltshire & India
FUCHS/BRUNEDER - Austria
CMYRAL - Bohemia

Offline Jessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Hifly, I stand repremanded!!!  Im too old to understand all this spam etc but appreciate what you say.  Jess

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 26 January 07 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Bruce, are you aware of the Rootsweb mailing list for Cumberland/Carlisle? You will find their archives on line.
There is someone in Australia who is asking for information on a Sewell family . I don't know if this has any connection to your Sewells
                         Regards
                                    Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 26 January 07 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jessy, am hoping to get Arthuret way in May sometime so maybe will be able to get into the church then. Do you think Lady Selina might be able to help me with my Gabriel Graham at all please?

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline Papamoa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sharing is the fastest way to progress genealogy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 January 07 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Good morning everyone.

Jessy,
Thank you for the e-mail address. I shall contact her and see if she or her husband can assist me.  I agree with HiFly re posting of Lady Serena's e-mail and have asked the moderator to remove it (if he can).  Your intentions were well meant and I appreciate your help. Perhaps you can advise me of any B&B's in Longtown area for a night or two in August.

Jane,
I do have a lot of photos around Longtown, Kirklinton & Carlisle.  Will be adding a lot more in August when I get up there.  Is there anything you need a pic of, I might have it.  I am on Cumberland, Graham & Borders lists (among others).  I saw post for Sewell  but couldn't help them.

Anna,
I have searched through my records and can't find any Gabriele's. I am almost certain that the name is not one of the Esk Graham's.

Time for a morning cuppa.

Regards to everyone, Bruce
Graham's of Cumberland & New Zealand
Glass's of Aberdeenshire & New Zealand

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 27 January 07 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce, Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to check for me anyway.

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 28 January 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Just found this thread and thought I'd post my GRAHAMs of Longtown/Arthuret.

Jane GRAHAM chr 1819 Longtown, "Jane dtr of Stephen labourer of Longtown and Jane (late BATTY) GRAHAM
Doubt they're connected to the Netherby Hall GRAHAMs.
1841 Jane was a servant at Riddings, Moat, Kirkandrews upon Esk
1851 servant at Penton (the next hsehold on the census was Haithwaite Gate where Jane's future hubby was.  )
Jane GRAHAM married James TURNBULL 1852 Nichol Forest, and the family, minus the youngest son, who I think had died by then, emigrated to NZ sometime around 1862/4 depending on which evidence you believe.  Settled in Taranaki.
In 1994/5 I was there and saw the ruins of the cottage at the bottom of Glendenning Rigg's drive which shows up on the 1861 OS maps, already a ruin.

When I last looked I couldn't find Stephen GRAHAM's birth/baptism.
Census info has him born Bewcastle c 1774 but when I was in the Carlisle Record Office I couldn't find him Bewcastle, Nichol Forest, Arthuret.
James TURNBULL's elder brother was the Rev Robert TURNBULL, father of Sir Robert TURNBULL, Superintendent of the LIne of the London and North West Railway, later Director.
A younger brother John seems to have moved to London then back again.

As for the GRAHAMs I don't know that much at all really.
Stephen GRAHAM married Jane BATY by license in Aug 1805.
Jul 1805 Andrew, their bastard son was baptised Stephen being "of Fauld" and Jane of Hornick Hill" neighbouring farms just out of Longtown.
He may or may not have married a Jane someone, probably prior to civil reg.
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 28 January 07 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi LornaHen, noticed on the IGI there were Stephen Graham's of Arthuret 1740's and back, maybe could be something to do with yours somewhere along the line?

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset