Author Topic: I feel peeved !!!  (Read 6301 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
I feel peeved !!!
« on: Saturday 20 November 04 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I feel a bit peeved  >:( >:(
My brother is not interested in our family tree.
My brother has never liked his middle name - Francis -
I happened to mention that he was not the only one in the family with that name - 5 on the male side - 3 one the female side with Frances - going back 2 hundred years!

Now at every opportunity he tells friends about the long tradition of his name.
Great I'm pleased :D

Only trouble is my middle name - Edward - which I have always presumed was an old family name - is only there once - my father.
I'm peeved
Cheers
Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: I feel peeved !!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 04 13:15 GMT (UK) »

I think that's what they call S o d s Law Keith....lol
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 04 14:28 GMT (UK) »
At least you were named after someone else in your tree!

I have traced my maternal side to 1812 and my paternal side to 1840's  and my name only occurs once , Me!
Plenty of the usual Mary , Elizabeth and Annie.

Will have to phone my mum in spain to find out how she came by my name.

Best wishes
Pauline
Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 November 04 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Can understand that.  My first name - Jonathan - is rarely to be found in my family tree and way way back, but my middle name William is very common.  Apparently my mother was 'unprepared' for me  ;) and looked up names from the Bible - goodness knows why, all my family are not religious at all.  She must have been desperate.  My name is ok- but would love to have been called something more .... substantial and interesting like George (solid), Frederick (lots in my family).  However, I think I am glad to have escaped being christened Abel (my gggg grandfather).

Greetings from a rainy freezing London!

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 04 15:11 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother had 9 children and I am yet to discover who she called any of them after. Not one of the names appear on either side of the family.

The closest I can get is the woman living next door to her on the 1891 census  ;D- she has the same name as one of the daughters.

It drives me mad because my mother continued the names with her 7 children - but who were they in the first place?

Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 November 04 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Both my names have not been used by any branch of my family lines ~ I'm not peeved "i'm an original!"  ;D

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 November 04 21:54 GMT (UK) »
If my daughter asks this question in years to come, I'm afraid I'll have to tell her, my 7 year old neice drew her first and second name out of a hat.  :-\
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 November 04 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I asked my mother a while back where she found my name and she informed me that she saw it on a dress label (and she told me she nearly gave me the whole label name .... would have had fun explaining my middle name being only the letter K over and over again ... lol) One of my sister's names came from a book ... got no idea where she came up with the names for my other sisters. As yet have not found our names on either side .... so looks like we were all 'originals' too.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 November 04 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I was named after my two godmother's. who were best friends of my mother...... my middle name Hilary...I have always hated and stopped using years ago.

If I had been a boy ...... my Dad wanted to call me Aston ....phew!

The dress label idea is good - know anybody called Mark Spencer .......

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary