Author Topic: L/U 1891 CENSUS, MONMOUTH, looking for Sarah Preest  (Read 697 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
L/U 1891 CENSUS, MONMOUTH, looking for Sarah Preest
« on: Saturday 20 November 04 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Sarah Preest in the census of 1891 at Monmouth.

Possibly/Probably in the Forest of Dean area.

Sarah married in 1892 and became Sarah Powell, so I expect her to be 17-30 years of age in 1891, I don't know if she was living with her parents or someone else!

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: L/U 1891 CENSUS, MONMOUTH, looking for Sarah Preest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 04 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Only one Sarah Preest in that area in 1891

address Meend

John Preest, head, age 44, coal miner born Glos Bream
Alice Ann Preest, wife, age 38 born Glos Woolastone
Thomas Preest, son, age 19, coal miner born Glos Bream
Isaac Preest,son, age 18,coal miner born Glos Bream
Sarah Preest, daughter, age 17 born Glos Bream
John Wm Preest,son, age 15, coal miner born Glos Bream
Arthur Preest, son, age 13 born Glos Bream
Agnes Amy Preest, daughter, age 9 , born Glos Bream
Kate Preest,daughter, age 7 born Glos Bream
Hurnist Preest, son, age 4 born Glos Bream

Civil parish:    West Dean 
Ecclesiastical parish:    St James 
Town:     
County:    Gloucestershire 

Source information:    RG12/4339
Registration district:    Monmouth 
Sub registration district:    Coleford 
ED, institution, or vessel:    13 
Folio:    42 
Page:    2 

I have alot on the Preests, Sarah is neice to my GG Grandfather Henry Thomas Preest. Get back in touch if you want any other info.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: L/U 1891 CENSUS, MONMOUTH, looking for Sarah Preest
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 04 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicky

Thanks for responding and I might well appreciate any help you can provide :'(

I "believe" that Sarah Preest is my Great Grandmother, if she married John Powell in 1892 and they had a son by the name of Frederick Powell in 1905 (large family) who married Leah Fletcher in 1927.

John Powell as he was known throughout his life was actually declared as being Thomas John Powell on the birth cert of Frederick Powell on the 16th September 1905.

Leah Fletcher (my Grandmother) m.1927 and on the marriage cert it said that Leah's father was an Austin Fletcher and Frederick Powell's father was a John Powell. The witnesses at the marriage are John Powell & Sarah Powell (are these the parents of Frederick or brother & wife?)

Leah's birth cert doesn't appear to exist! supposably born on the 20th April 1903 in the forest area. When she died the GRO knocked up a temporary one for the burial on what was told to them by the family.

My Aunt, Margaret Teague (formerly Powell) still lives in Coleford today.

Struggling to find something definite to work on. I will have to obtain the marriage cert of John Powell & Sarah Preest to see what that gives me. And if Frederick is a son of theirs he had brothers & sisters Ernie, Stan, Jack, Dolly, Alice, Lilian and Edith (according to my Aunt).

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk