Author Topic: Alexander Mckenzie born 5th Dec. 1832  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie born 5th Dec. 1832
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 January 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Here's the image of the Alexaander McWilliam or possibly McMillan or ?  aged 7 in the 1871.

Not sure if you can make anything more out than me. I can't find any sign on the IGI. I hadn't checked for Alexander though - only just worked that bit out  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 January 07 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The information you have given about Ann and her children certainly blows my theory out of the window.  Do you  think she was married to any of the fathers of her children.

The extract from the census I would read as Alexander McWilliam but difficult to be sure.

Cheers
Betty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 January 07 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

All her census entries say that she was unmarried, so I don't think so. Fathers are named in two of the  birth entries.

Not much on Isobel or Elizabeth - have you checked deaths for them. Alternatively, they could have moved away and it wuld be difficult/expensive to track them down  :(

Still, I'm sure this is your family - thanks to Ann for staying at home  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 January 07 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Again did not register on Ann being unmarried.  I think I will need a lie down after this.

As you say it was good that Ann stayed at home.  I wonder what her parents thoughts were!!

Thanks also for the 1861 census for Alexander wife and two children.  He went on to have four more children.  One settled in Canada and one in Connecticut.  Both were carpenters/ builders.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
On Alexander's marriage certificate in Urquhart, Morayshire on 18th December 1856 it gives parents as Alexander Mckenzie and Jane Kerr.  On his death certificate of 2nd January 1913 in Urquhart, Morayshire it gives them as Alexander Mckenzie and Jane Carr.  I have also picked these up from IGI. Up until the marriage and death I am sure as I can be that I have the correct Alexander. 

It's quite common to find Kerr and Carr used interchangeably. So a Jean Ker(r) and a Jane Car(r) are quite likely to be one and the same person. There is no definitive way of spelling it.

I have an Alexander Mckenzie having married a Jean Car on 16th October 1824 at Fordyce.  This was extracted from GRO (no image). Also Alexander marrying a Jane Ker on 2nd November 1824 at Rathven. 

Both entries are 'extracted' from the original parish registers. The spelling is of no significance - it simply reflects how the parish clerk thought the names should be spelled.

What it tells you is that one of the couple lived in Fordyce and one in Rathven when the banns were called. The banns had to be called in both parishes of residence. The original entries will tell you which one lived in which parish.

The difference in dates isn't significant - one parish clerk may have written the entry on the day the banns were first called, and the other may have added the actual date of the marriage. Again, the original entries will clarify this.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping I was following the correct family Kerr/Car and with your comments and the great help I got yesterday I can now confidently try and get further back.  It puzzled me that there were different dates for the banns and that made me wonder if there were two couples.  It also helped that Ann stayed at home.

I can only assume that the family bible with the different date of birth for Alexander is wrong as I can only find 5th December 1832 birth.  Can anybody find anything for 15th December 1834.  I could happily accept the day being wrong, but there are two years difference.  I have not seen the entry myself so cannot comment on how clear it is.

Cheers
Betty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 January 07 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

I had another look for a birth that might match more closely but could not find anything. There are three possibilities that I can think of:

-they got it wrong! - Family Bibles are notorious if they are filled in retrospectively

-the first one died and Alexander was born in 1834 but no record survives

-an outside possibility - the change in the calendar in the 18th century. Although this was much later, it might have been up to 2 years out by that time (1832-34). I know that up here they still talk about their stolen days and 'Old New Year' is still celebrated on 12/13th January.

Gadget

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:10 GMT (UK) »
-an outside possibility - the change in the calendar in the 18th century. Although this was much later, it might have been up to 2 years out by that time (1832-34). I know that up here they still talk about their stolen days and 'Old New Year' is still celebrated on 12/13th January.

I very much doubt it. There were only eleven days' difference by the time England switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1752. Scotland had partly switched anyway in 1600 so it would not have had any bearing on a date in the 1830s.

As for celebrating New Year, old style, see

http://www.hogmanay.net/events/burghhead
http://www.morayhols.co.uk/the_clavie.html
http://website.lineone.net/~cathm19/clavie.htm
http://www.scotland-info.co.uk/clavie.htm

or Google for lots more descriptions.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 January 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Interesting theories.

1.  I would be inclined to go along with that.  We were ticking along reasonably well until we traced a family member in Canada who has the Family Bible.  Alexander's date of birth is the only one that differs from about ten other people.  It had to be him as he is the direct line back.

2.  No.  He is the direct line back.

3.  Probably not but will check it out as I don't know much about the calander change. Google here I come!!

Cheers
Betty