Author Topic: Burnell in Somerset  (Read 3437 times)

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
Burnell in Somerset
« on: Saturday 20 November 04 13:53 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandmother, Daisy Burnell was born in Kilburn, London during the 1880s but prior to her parents arrival and marriage in London, her father George Burnell was born in Somerset in approx 1849/50. It isnt until the 1891 census, that i catch up with him and note that his census return (in Dunstable, Bedfordshire) notes him as having been born in "Bristol, Somerset". George died a few months later.

I have searched a few websites and have had trouble finding the Burnell family in 1881. George married his wife, Mary Ann Barker (from Barkway, Hertfordshire) in 1880 and going by the 1891 census, their oldest daughter Beatrice was born either that year or early 1881.

Having had Bristol census checked by a friend researching in that part of the country, i have suspicions about Wootton Courtney and Coombe Florey as being the home of the Burnells.

I *know* that George's father was called Samuel Burnell and by George's marriage in London in 1880, he was dead.... so i'm looking for reference of a baptism in Somerset around 1849/early 1850s for George Burnell, son of Samuel Burnell.

If anyone can help.. i really would be most grateful.  Please message me privately as all the rest of my research is based in Cambridgeshire and so i probably wont be reading this topic again for a long time.
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burnell in Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 04 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Messaged privately with 1851 census details and possible birth reference.
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk