My Entire Family Tree
78 (76.5%)
My Maternal Grandparents' Trees
1 (1%)
My Paternal Grandparents' Trees
2 (2%)
A Friend's Tree
1 (1%)
I'm a professional researcher... i'll search anything i'm asked!
1 (1%)
My Partner's Tree
4 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Who Are You Researching?  (Read 22644 times)

Offline old queen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who Are You Researching?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
my mother was a only child and always wanted to belonge to a large family, but her
mother died when my mother was 3 and her stepmother never had children. so
when my mother died i thought i would see what i could find out about her mother.
i found she came from a big family and so did my grandfather but my mother never knew any of them, i even found out i lived next door to one of my uncles in the 60s.
 sheila old queen. ;D
Knowles born Oldham . Price, Chester&Oldham.          Tomlinson, Blackley,Harpurhey&Moston.   Crossley from Failsworth.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 June 05 19:41 BST (UK) »
SNAP  to everyone here

I cant fill in your survey cos except for not being profesional guess I research everyone  ::)  serves two purposes I love research and it stops me eating....well almost ;D

I even research other peoples for fun just finished  a cousins well what I could find , never really finished  but it introduced me to scottish certificates  wish mine were scottish  oh well back to it   sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 November 05 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Kia ora
I'm just worried about the poor future genealogist in 200 years time who might be able to access my tax returns, parking tickets and will have to scratch their  heads wondering why on earth I spent so much time in Bangladesh! Or will they surmise that I was incarcerated for the above offences?????

Just found one of mine who was in strife for bankruptcy and had to pay 2/6 by the following Saturday in 1915. Woner if he re-enrolled in the Army....?
Great game promised this wekend if anyone is interested.!!
Marlene in Aotearoa
"Ancestors never die , they simply lose their census." 
(Read it out loud.!)
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Twinkletoes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 November 05 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I have been doing research for my family history for over 30 years now.  Had a small break of about 10 years while having my children, just did bits now and then.  But now I am back in the running, and trying to do it seriously now.  I can't believe how much is available now, and how easy it is to find different sites etc.
Bunn
Netherwood
Stephenson

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I wanted to do my family tree, but my niece was doing it along with an uncle.... so didn't take it up, but sad as it wasn't worth doing it. So when my daughter's boyfriend in Canada announced that his father was born in England to a warbride, I decided to find out more for him. Big brick wall, so I then thought I'd look at my family tree, found a few mistakes along the way that opened many doors and I've never stopped since.
I get excited with the prospect of a few hours to escape to read parish records and court records and will talk about it for days afterwards.

What could be more exciting and entertaining that finding out an ancestor had his furniture of a bow and arrow removed for a quarter of a year! Or that another put the whole parish at peril of contacting the plague by allowing a sub tennant to stay in his home!

Sad but I have to admit to wanting to be a name dropper, I'd love to find myself related however winding the path to someone famous like Henry VIII, but at the moment I'm not even related to the person that empties the chamberpot :'(

I do love all the new cousins that I've found since starting the tree, I'd never have known they'd existed if it wasn't for doing the tree.

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore

Offline Sooziecats

• I am sorry but my email is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Jessie Wanklyn 16.01.1913 - Christmas Eve 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I started looking for my Dad's mother's family after Mum hand Dad had been out for Sunday lunch and ended up looking at the Church where my dad was christened.  This set us thinking of the names of Nan's brothers and sisters - she was the youngest of 17!  I had no idea where to look and just did a Google search and found them on the 1901 census - and that was it!!!  Ten months later I now have over 450 names on the tree.  BUT the best bit is that I have become really close to my Dad, after a strained relationship for many years and we now go off all over the place looking for gravestones etc. It is wonderful.

This site has been the most useful I have used and thrown up names and answers when I have been completely stuck.  Cheers all  ;D

Sue B
Herefordshire - Wanklyn (all variations)
Herefordshire - Preece
Gloucestershire - Bayliss
Gloucestershire - Creese
Gloucestershire - Johnson
Gloucestershire - Emerson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 13:44 GMT (UK) »
yes, this site has really shown the value of using the internet to research a family tree.

the kindness of 'strangers' on here to help out with research is astonishing and those kind people have certainly helped me a lot to research my family's history.
Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 18:15 GMT (UK) »
hi,
guess i am the same as the rest of you. started off carrying on my mother's side after she passed away. got stuck in 1540, guess what, moved over to my father's line, and so on and so forth...
 will have to do my wife's soon or she will divorce me and cite the computer as third party! ;D ;D

watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 00:37 GMT (UK) »

"Only a genealogist regards a step BACKWARD as PROGRESS!"

Love the quote Ann.

I started when an uncle made a flip comment that a local estate could be named after a distant ancestor. Simple as that. And guess what? A year later and it was!!!! Estate is called Fishburn Park (mothers maiden name, Fishburn not Park) and it's named after Thomas Fishburn who built the Endeavour, in which Captain Cook sailed to Australia. Since then I've gone off in all directions. Snippets I find of interest one day don't appear to be relevant but months later, hey presto, you've got another branch. Just like a jigsaw, you'll tear up the house to find any pieces that are missing.
I've recently found a possible who was counterfeiting ha'pennys. He got caught and fined 1 shilling (wonder if he paid with the duff ones) and 12 months jail.
It's better than any TV soap, so who cares if we are sad.

All the best to everyone

Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk