My Entire Family Tree
78 (76.5%)
My Maternal Grandparents' Trees
1 (1%)
My Paternal Grandparents' Trees
2 (2%)
A Friend's Tree
1 (1%)
I'm a professional researcher... i'll search anything i'm asked!
1 (1%)
My Partner's Tree
4 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: Who Are You Researching?  (Read 22643 times)

Offline Kimi

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Who Are You Researching?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I started 4 years ago on my Mother's side.  First with her Mother's family and now her Father's side.  If I get stuck and can't go back any further, I move side ways so I don't have to stop!  As a result, my tree is wider than it is longer ;D

Kimi
Ryder- Limehouse/Canning Town.
Couley- Limehouse. 
Hogben- Canning Town/Kent
Richbell- Kent.
Davies - Lancashire
Lester - Berkshire

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather was orphaned so my dad sent off for records from his local parish in Bucks and we visited the church and cottage where he grew up. I was about 10 and took a real interest. Now I have completely taken over the family research and got completely addicted!!! :-) I too bore the pants off everyone with my constant chatter about my discoveries, but I have learnt so much history through this hobby. I have one line in Northumberland back to the Civil War and am now finding out all about that. I wrote all my research up in a book with photos etc. and gave copies to my aunts and uncles and they loved it. I now research all lines of my family. I have a semicircular chart and I work by finishing off the levels and filling in the gaps. I have now almost completed the greatx3 grandparents and are halfway through the next generation. It does get much harder after the census years though!

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 March 06 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching every possible line of my entire ancestry, sometimes, I even go off hunting the ancestors of people who have married into my family several generations before my own birth. I'm one comitted family historian. Or am I just obsessed???

I'm doing the EXACT same thing. I just found 2 new second cousins this week and now I've been inundated with all their family information - most of which is their other line, not our Burrow line. OTOH they also sent me some great new photos of my Burrow family in NZ as well.

And I have quite a few lines of people marrying into the Burrow family that I have traced back a few generations.  ;D

I am currently working mostly on my paternal grandmothers BURROW line. My paternal fathers line has been mostly done by others, but also since its Scottish, I just dont have the finances to pay Scotlandspeople for surfing BMD records and purchasing certificates all the time. :(   So I havent been able to do as much as I would like on my Scottish lines.

On my West country lines I am having a BALL!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

BD

BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline malbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 March 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Just thought i'd add my twopennyth worth, what i find fascinating is when your reading a book about History or watching a documentary on TV, about the year 17 or 18 something or another, you suddenly think, Oh so and so lived threw that and might have even been involved in it, it just makes it more intriguing for me. The other strange thing is that in the 1850's one branch of my family and one branch of my wife's family lived two streets from each other in Manchester and could have even known each other, brings everything a little closer. Small world or what.
Beds- Jackson - Foot
Cumberland - Brockbank-Gunson-Barker-Manchester
Derbyshire- Higgins
Devon- Knight-Lear
Essex - Knight-Livermore-Fuller-Crow-Stammers-   
            Swallow-Whitney-Smith-Perry-Adams
Gloucs - Hunt
Hunts - Jackson
Lancs - Higgins-Roney-Wood
Norfolk - Housego-Taylor-Murrel-Wolterton
Suffolk - Housego
Surrey - Speck-stonnell
Sussex - Speck
Wiltshire - Speck-Panting

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 March 06 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am a novice to this sited and still finding my way around it but really enjoy it.  I feel at home here.  My partner thinks all my researching my roots is mad - so this site makes me feel good to be in the company of so many as addicted as myself.  I started searching one side of my family but it has really branched out now and have also helped others to obtain information.  I have even found a distant cousin through family research.  Even one of my boys is starting to show an interest at the age of 21!

Cathy
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 March 06 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Welcome to the world of addiction - there is no escape ;D
I've only been here for a short while but wonder how I managed before. There are a lot of very helpful people out there.

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 March 06 06:52 GMT (UK) »
I see you are researching Bowers.  it is one of my names in Burwell, Cambridge.  Matthew Bowers Married Mary Bridgeman then Ann Barnes, and then Tabitha Larner.  My grandfather Charles Harding Barnes Married Mary Bowers - daughter of Matthew and Mary.  Charles Harding Barnes' mother was I believe the Ann Barnes Matthew married.  Do you know them.

Sabrina