Author Topic: Burial Look up Please  (Read 18519 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Look up Please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di,
I have taken up an interest in mention of William Aggs (1801) for whom a burial has been reported 1857 - Islington Cemetery, and the fact you have recorded him as a early 'Peeler' policeman in London.
Is he the burial look-up you were after?

I can at least respond from Deceased Online, who have all Islington & Camden London boroughs burial records, William is buried at the location " /3/1623" Islington Cemetery ground [the cemetery is a joint operation with each borough having separate ground].

He is not the sole interment and from what I can deduce the other two persons are unrelated? - William was buried on 29th Oct, Henry James Wright 3rd Nov and finally Ann Warner 4th Nov. I have a few ancestor's buried in similar 'old' and 'multiple unrelated people' plots (also Islington ground) in the same cemetery. Many years ago I investigated the possibility of finding the graves and was - then, shown the general area and advised it would be very hard to actually find anything surviving as a marker. So I didn't bother - it was a wilderness and given over to much untended vegetation and the scurge of so many cemeteries - ivy (poor girl :-\).

Harking back to his police connection I might be able to expand on that in due time - perhaps sending you a PM with any further information I discover. My own GGG Uncle joined the 'Met' police in 1832 and was numbered 8832 and he was attached to the Islington force.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di,
Next time you return online please send me PM as, being at a lose-end (raining and can't do gardening ;D), I have trawled some records I have and found your William Aggs and his Police Pension Record. This has to be sent privately. best regards, Keith.

Offline davethebuilder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Di,

William S. Aggs was my GG Grandfather. He was born in Camden Town, London, England and emigrated to Australia in 1863, worked as a butcher, married Elizabeth Ash Cory Fox on 15 March, 1871 and they had 10 children. He died on 16 April, 1916 in Sydney. His parents are listed as William Aggs, Inspector of Police, and Ann Spurgin.

As for the larceny (theft) conviction it doesn't sound like "Crime of the Century" and in those days it was common for an apprentice to live with his master. I understand that Australia was looking to build up its population with skilled immigrants so he may have seen a chance for a better life. If he was an assisted immigrant then more details about him would have been recorded than if he paid his own fare. If he was a member of the ships crew then that could have been a way to pay off his fare.

William & Ann Aggs and their children were listed on the 1851 Census Form. The Parish/Township was Hammersmith, Ecclesiastical District of St Paul in the City/ Borough of Middlesex. It states that William Aggs, aged 49 years and Head of Family was born in St Pancras, Middlesex. Ann, his wife, was 38 years and it lists six children - Ann Emily, William, Harriet Martha, Henry James, Louisa Alice and Alfred John. Also listed in the same house was Harriet Spurgin, aged 26 years and William, aged 48 years. I'm not sure what happened to any of them except William.

I don't have a copy of the parents marriage certificate from 1838 and am interested in finding out about what came before. Your posts have filled in some gaps and if you have any more then I would be interested in learning about it. Cheers.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 13:17 GMT (UK) »
For any related AGG / AGGS members;- Just mentioning no personal interest myself and no historical knowledge of said persons.

Search of Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington, London N6.
In addition to Ann AGGS 1815-1853 Section D6 (mention by Di.), there are the following 2 below nb spelling.

James AGG: 1792-1853 Section E7 and Mary Ann AGG: 1795-1861 Section C2.

The cemetery has undergone some wonderful sterling clearance work of late by dedicated members of the Abney Park Trust. It has often revealed many hitherto overgrown headstones!

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 March 22 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, information and interest in our Aggs family Copper1.

I have briefly answered your PM

davethebuilder
Thanks for your Aggs information. I have sent you a PM (Personal Message) accessible via "My Messages" on the top of the screen. Have included my email address.

Apologies for the brevity of my replies - surrounding areas hit by floods here and haven't had access to internet. I'll be back when it's a little more stable. Thanks for your input.
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davethebuilder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 March 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information Copper 1. If you turn up any more information please advise.

Cheers.