Author Topic: Burial Look up Please  (Read 18516 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Look up Please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Well Done Reg,

That's the family  ;D

The Ann was William's wife and Harriet (SPURGIN) was Ann's sister. (Ann and Harriet were the children of Isaac Spurgin, an Excise Office in London.)

Ann (William's wife) died in 1853 and is buried in Abney cemetery.

I REALLY appreciate your time with this family and all the time and help you have provided - Thank you SO much  :-*

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rbangorreg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »
hi  Di.
          Gives me something to work with , now back to Norfolk again I did notice one John Aggs in a quaker marriage in one of the Parish Registers, cannot remember which one so back to the search again.
    Reg.
ThaiThyme

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Ohhhh - you little treasure  :-*

Thank you

Offline rbangorreg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 February 07 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di.
       This John Aggs is a real mystery, I have come across a listing of Aggs Families Ancestors  in Norfolk and Middlesex, and guess what! every Aggs member has there date of birth & death except for one,....It just says "JOHN AGGS," AND THAT IS THE ONLY INFORMATION AGAINST HIS NAME, no  birth or death date!
        I have sent an e-mail to the author requesting permission to copy this information.
         REG.
ThaiThyme

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 February 07 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reg,

The Aggs listing certainly sounds interesting.

A long while ago I did come across a guy who was attempting to see if his Aggs ancestor was connected to the Aggs in Norfolk (the posh lot - not mine  ;) ) and he had listed all Aggs family members that he found on various genealogy sites in the off-chance that he'd find a connection.

I don't know if this is the same listing, but as you have found, there is nothing anywhere (that I have found) that gives any indication of just who my John Aggs was.

I'll keep fingers crossed anyway  ;)

Thank you
Di
 :-*

Offline jamesnoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 May 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady Di,

I'm not sure if we've been in touch already via another site as I know someone gave me information on the while a couple of years ago and a couple of photos taken after a couple of the Aggs children moved to Australia. I am Michelle Noe, and my great grandma was Harriet Maude Effie Morris, daughter of Harriet Martha Aggs, grandaughter of William Aggs and Ann Aggs (need Spurgin).

Harriet Maude Effie Morris married Arthur Cecil Bumpus.

What I am interested to know is how William Aggs could go from being a policeman in Norfolk and Inspector of Police in London to living and dying in the poor house. Also the census shows that his wife Ann was also living in the poor house, but I can't find the children at this stage. Maybe they were there as well. The first reference I can find to the children is in 1861 when Harriet, age 16, is living with her employer and working as a Draper's Assistant.

Any idea of how such a big change in circumstance can happen?

Thanks,
Michelle

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 May 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi (cousin) Michelle,

Welcome to Rootschat.

Yes, we did speak a long time ago and you kindly sent me information and pictures of your Harriet's family.

I'm from the Aussie branch and I'm no further ahead (or should that be back!!)  than I was some years ago unfortunately.

A kind lady on Rootschat found me further information about William and Ann's children. It's on a thread here somewhere.

It appears that William was taken to the infirmary part of the workhouse by ambulance as he was extremely ill. They only lived just behind the workhouse so it was the most convenient "hospital" in the area. They took the children as well at that time as there was no one at home to look after them. Within the next few days, all the children were packed off to an orphanage and they never saw their father again - he died just a few hours later.  :'(

It's been a while since I looked through my Aggs file so I'll see what other info I have.

Di

Ohhhh - I remembered something. William & Ann's son William S. Aggs was sent to jail by his employer!!  :o He only did a short time there and appears to have immigrated not long after his release.

Offline davethebuilder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Lady Di,

Ohhhh - I remembered something. William & Ann's son William S. Aggs was sent to jail by his employer!!  :o He only did a short time there and appears to have immigrated not long after his release.

That is interesting. Do you have any more information about his early life in England? Direct descendant here...

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi davethe builder - welcome to Rootschat

Great to meet another descendant of our Aggs family. Which line are your descended from?
I've just been looking through some old information about the family and can probably fill in a few details for you.

William AGGS b: 29 Jul 1801 Bp: 8 Aug 1801 St Michael Coslany, Norwich d: 26 Oct 1857 Bur: 29 Oct 1857 Islington Cemetery (Camden)
He was son of John AGGS and Martha Farmery (nee Slark) of Norwich

Assume you have the marriage of Wm Aggs (Inspector) and Ann Spurgin in 1838 St Pancras.

Young William Spurgin Aggs (born 1842) was an apprentice Butcher
On 3rd Dec 1860 the Criminal Register for Westminster General Sessions has :
NAME: WilliamS Aggs, CRIME: Larceny by Servant, SENTENCE: 2months,

1861 census: He was at the home of Elias Ebbels at 3 Newmarket Place, St. John's, Hackney (a Butcher)
I haven't looked for/found a transcript of the trial but it should confirm his employer's name in 1860.

In Dec 1863 he arrived Qld Australia on ship “Prince Consort” from London & Plymouth
 - Passenger list shows him as CREW, a Butcher of London, age 21 so it seems that he may have worked for his passage.

Hope this is of interest and can provide further information if required.

Cheers
Di
PS - Finally found that our Aggs weren't Quakers .... but the SPURGINs were!