Author Topic: Smith, Islay early 1800's  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Keesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smith, Islay early 1800's
« on: Tuesday 23 January 07 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information about Smith ancestors from Islay who emigrated to Canada 1830's. Parents were Gilbert and Martha Smith. Known children were John, Ann, Archibald, Sarah and Martha. All info appreciated.
Carter - Dorset, Essex, Cambridgeshire, UK, Victoria Aus.
Laurie - London, UK, Canada
Smith - Islay, Argyll, Scotland
Major - Down, Ireland
Jackson -  Ireland
Gardiner -  Ireland

Offline Yoyo01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith, Islay early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 August 11 14:00 BST (UK) »
HI,
Archibald Smith from Islay ( born 1809) came to Australia. He married Charlotte Southeby Bartlett in 1858 & settled in Buninyong Victoria.
Of his 11 children, my Great Grandmother was the 7th - Mary Ann. She married Donald William Smith and moved with him and their 3 children to Western Australia in the early 1900's.
I've only just started on this line of family but if you're interested in what little I have i'd be delighted to help.
Regards
Evelyn

Offline dglynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelyn (Yoyo01),
I have an ancestor Archibald Smith who was born in Paisley Scotland in 1848.  He had a daughter Amy Smith who was born in
Buninyong.  He also moved eventually to WA (about 1900).  He was a minister of the Congregational Church and Church of Christ.
His son appears to be Archibald Islay Smith (born St George Sydney 1879) and so I think that maybe the Archibald Smith you are talking
about in your message was his father (born Islay 1809 which are the details I also have).  Perhaps his first wife (Agnes Brown?? born 1820?) died and he emigrated to Australia.  I looked up shipping records from England to Australia and there was an A Smith on the Champion of the Seas in 1854 which makes
sense if he was married (again?) in 1858.  I have possible children of the elder Archibald Smith as Margret 1844 Paisley, Archibald (my great grandfather, 1848, Paisley), Agnes 1851 Paisley, Mary 1855 (born Australia?), Ellen Dodds (1857, Maitland), Elizabeth Stevenson (1860, Maitland).
(These last ones in Australia might be dubious but see how they correlate with your info.)
Actually, I just looked up marriages with Charlotte Southeby Bartlett in Victoria in 1858 and it looks like she married Abraham Oates
and so I am not sure where Archibald Smith from Islay comes in here.  Unless you have more info?
Regards
David

Offline Yoyo01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
HI David,

I'm afaid you've been misled by my Evil Twin who sometimes get's things wrong.

The Archibald Smith (1) to whom I relate was born in Islay 1809.

(Here there is a blank area....)

His son, Archibald James (2), married Ellen Amelia and died  24/07/1913.
Archibald (2)'s children were Archibald (3) (of Adelaide, SA.), Donald (my Great Grandfather, of Lomas, WA), Nellie (Mrs Gannaway of Bridgetown, WA.) Jessie (Mrs Creek of Victoria)and Thomas Henry (of Fremantle, WA).
Archibald (2) came to WA from Buninyong, Vic. about the turn of the century with, at least, my GGF, GGM -  Mary Ann Oates and their children Wilfred Stanley, Royden James and Mary Ellen.
I have found a reluctance in the family to use the given names for some reason and this has had me on off on a few tangents (don't need the help of the Evil Twin here!). Mary Ellen was 'Auntie Nell' and Wilfred Stanley was only ever referred to as 'Uncle Stan'. Roy was my Grandfather.

Archibald (3) died in 12/09/1925 in Perth Hospital. I believe his children were Archibald (4), Mavis and Pierre.

All this has been gleaned from Family Lies, Births, Deaths and Marriages, WA & TROVE Newspapers

http://trove.nla.gov.au

Charlotte Southeby Bartlett was just thrown in by my Evil Twin to confuse. She is my GGM, her daughter was Mary Ann Oates who married Donald Smith. Not wasted effort though -I really appreciate you effort.
I have a new avenue to explore and shall endeavour to be more organised in future so my Evil Twin is thwarted.

Regards

Evelyn

' and  
Hi Evelyn (Yoyo01),
I have an ancestor Archibald Smith who was born in Paisley Scotland in 1848.  He had a daughter Amy Smith who was born in
Buninyong.  He also moved eventually to WA (about 1900).  He was a minister of the Congregational Church and Church of Christ.
His son appears to be Archibald Islay Smith (born St George Sydney 1879) and so I think that maybe the Archibald Smith you are talking
about in your message was his father (born Islay 1809 which are the details I also have).  Perhaps his first wife (Agnes Brown?? born 1820?) died and he emigrated to Australia.  I looked up shipping records from England to Australia and there was an A Smith on the Champion of the Seas in 1854 which makes
sense if he was married (again?) in 1858.  I have possible children of the elder Archibald Smith as Margret 1844 Paisley, Archibald (my great grandfather, 1848, Paisley), Agnes 1851 Paisley, Mary 1855 (born Australia?), Ellen Dodds (1857, Maitland), Elizabeth Stevenson (1860, Maitland).
(These last ones in Australia might be dubious but see how they correlate with your info.)
Actually, I just looked up marriages with Charlotte Southeby Bartlett in Victoria in 1858 and it looks like she married Abraham Oates
and so I am not sure where Archibald Smith from Islay comes in here.  Unless you have more info?
Regards
David

Offline dglynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your info even though it looks like our Archibald Smiths are different.

Regards,
David

Offline Yoyo01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I think that you'll find that it is the same family - I have another Archibald Smith born 1832 who was the son of my Archibald (1) and father of Archibald (2).
Good luck with your research
Regards
Evelyn