Author Topic: Holmwood Baptisms - Lookup please  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Jay9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmwood Baptisms - Lookup please
« on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for baptisms of children for Charles and Ada(h) Aldridge.

Mary Aldridge found on IGI 11 June 1882
Percy John Aldridge 1884
Lewis George Aldridge 1887
Minnie Aldridge 1890
Mabel Alice Aldridge 1892
Lily Aldridge 1900

The childrens births are registered Dorking and in the census years they are living Holmwood/Dorking.

The last 2 or 3 children could be baptised with only mothers name given, I know Lilys father is not named on her birth certificate.

Thank you, Jay9
Sussex - Barnes, Reed, French, Gower, Walter, Diplock, Holter, Willard , Kennard

London/Surrey - France, Pittman, Follows, Harris

Somerset - Cox, Burt

Hampshire - Ellis

Surrey - Aldridge

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holmwood Baptisms - Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay,
         Ive been googling for parish records,but no luck,I can't seem to find any of the children on Free BMD,or the marriage of Charles and Ada,well not in Dorking,perhaps Iv'e got it wrong!!
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Jay9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have the marriage certificate of Charles and Ada Aldridge in 1879 in Holmwood Church.

I know Charles is not the father of all Ada`s children and was hoping that the baptisms might help sort it all. The only child I know for sure that is his, is the eldest Mary, Minnie was my husbands grandmother, and although her birth certificate gives fathers names as Charles, I have some doubts, her marriage certificate gives fathers names as John. Unfortunately there is nobody left to ask.

Thanks, Jay9

Sussex - Barnes, Reed, French, Gower, Walter, Diplock, Holter, Willard , Kennard

Somerset - Cox, Burt

Hampshire - Ellis

Surrey - Aldridge

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay & welcome to Rootschat  :)
There's always the possibility that the children were not baptised.  If they were I doubt whether it would give you any clues.  If Charles & Ada were married in 1879 all children of that union (Charles being the biological father or not) would have Charles recorded as the father, unless I'm being particularly thick here & have missed your point  ::) Ahhh, are you saying that Charles died but Ada continued having children out of wedlock?
 The birth certificates would give you far more detail than a baptism entry.

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jay9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Charles married Ada in 1879, have not been able to locate them in 1881 census, and I have spent many hours trying. In 1891 census have found Ada with children one being my husbands grandmother, Charles is not there, but there is a male lodger. 1901 Charles still not with Ada but the lodger has now become Head of Household and there is two extra children.

I found Charles in prison in 1891 and by 1901 he has another partner elsewhere(no marriage found) same as Ada never remarried.

I thought baptisms might help as I have a great grandmother on my side born 1870 in Sussex,whose  birth was not registered but she was baptized and the father named.

Although Minnies birth certificate gives Charles as father, John is given on Marriage certificate and that was the name of the lodger. I have Lilys birth certificate no father named, so I cannot be certain whether John Davey who was head of household is her father.

I was just hoping the baptisms might help.

Thanks Jay

Somerset - Cox, Burt

Hampshire - Ellis

Surrey - Aldridge

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay,
Like you I've had a good hunt on the 1881 census with no luck  :(  maybe they got missed off?
The baptism records for Holmwood are at the Surrey History Centre in Woking but I don't know if you're in a position to make a visit?  It certainly looks as if John Davey got his feet under the table with Ada  :D

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.