Author Topic: Looking for: Kenny & Linn in Shettleston, Glasgow, Scotland  (Read 1468 times)

Offline juniper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for: Kenny & Linn in Shettleston, Glasgow, Scotland
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I am researching a family named KENNY who lived at 10 Academy Street, Shettleston, Glasgow. (Not sure when). 

I believe, the father, Peter Christopher Kenny, was born in about 1893 in Shettleston.  His wife's name was Margaret Linn. 

They had six children but only three survived:  Robert, Margaret and Peter. Also understand that Peter snr served in the Army in WW1 but no details.   

I believe Peter Kenny died in 1942 aged 49.   

If anyone can help with Scottish Census lookups or births of any of the above, I would be most grateful.   Records I have seen don't show the family at 10 Academy Street in 1901.  Any help finding more about this family or pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Juniper
Hughes,  Hanley, Irwin, Baxter, Vincent, Shave, Houghton, Goebener, Schwarmann,  Hurst, Russell, Crawford, Partridge, Coleman, Wyatt, Walker, Fenner, Ansell, Gambrell, Sayer

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for: Kenny & Linn in Shettleston, Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Juniper,

Peter Kenny married Margaret Lee Linn at Shettleston in 1928 GROS reference 644/19 0055, no image available, has to be ordered.

If that is the correct  marriage the census dates stop at 1901 , so too early for this family. Will possibly have to go to GROS in person to research, I think on this occasion.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Juniper,

There is a Margaret Lee Linn born in Partick, Glasgow in 1901 GROS ref 646/03 0580.
The census date for 1901 – 31 March, so if born before then could be in census, if born after, that is why you cannot find it.

I cannot find birth of a Peter Christopher Kenny, marriage cert only showed Peter, there are 3 Peter Kenny’s around that age, b 1892 and b 1894 Partick, Glasgow and b 1893 Anderston Glasgow., none in Shettleston at that time.

Tom

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juniper

If you view the DC of Peter on www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk then you'll learn his parents names, father's occupation, mother's maiden name etc....which should steer you to a birth record.  I haven't checked it out but his mother is not listed as deceased on his DC.........so maybe she wasn't!

Oh..and..the DC is indexed in 1943 not 1942....

1943 KENNY PETER     M 49 TOWNHEAD GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/06 0608

Best wishes
Jean

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Read what Jean said about death certificate -

Checked out Deaths in SP, and when I input 1894 to birth year for Peter Kenny in 1943 comes back with a count of 1. So suspect Peter was born in Partick in 1894. Still no middle name of Christopher.

Tom

Offline juniper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
    :)     Just want to thank you all so very very much for all your very kind help in such a short space of time. 
Was so surprised when I came back on tonight and find all this wonderful help and support.   I had hit a brick wall this morning with this.  Now  I can see the light !    8)
 Yes, the 1928 marriage between Peter Kenny & Margaret Lee Linn in Shettleston, Glasgow City, is definitely them.  Will check that out tomorrow.   Brilliant.   
Also, the birth of Margaret Lee Linn in Partick, Glasgow City, in 1901 is also the correct, so will follow that up too.
I think you are right in saying she will probably not be on the 1901 Census!  Uggh!  However, I hope to pick her father up on the marriage cert so all is not lost! 
   Again, thank you for your kind help here.
Peter Kenny born in Partick, Glasgow, 1892, also looks like the right one.   I should be able to find him on the 1901 Census now. 
Thanks again  for all your kind suggestions which I will  follow up and hopefully be on the right track tomorrow.
Happy researching!

Juniper

Hughes,  Hanley, Irwin, Baxter, Vincent, Shave, Houghton, Goebener, Schwarmann,  Hurst, Russell, Crawford, Partridge, Coleman, Wyatt, Walker, Fenner, Ansell, Gambrell, Sayer

Offline Aussie24

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 24 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Juniper, thank you for your post Regarding the Kenny Family.

I have some information with regards to Robert, I'm the son of Robert Kenny, if you would like to chat you can contact me
Kind Regards,
Paul Kenny