Author Topic: Train crash SHREWSBURY 1907  (Read 7045 times)

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Train crash SHREWSBURY 1907
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi , A brother of my g grandmother a william Buckley born 1875 in shrewsbury was according to a family story killed in a railway accident in shrewsbury.He worked as an engine stoker.The accident happened on 15 october 1907. I Have found pictures on the internet but does anyone know if there would be a list of names of people who died ? i have unfortunately not been able to trace a death for him on bmd index. thanks for any help or suggestions .chris

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TRAIN CRASH SHREWSBURY 1907
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Shropshire archives (www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf) has copies of the Shrewsbury Chronicle which would have run articles about the crash - front page, no doubt.

They might be able to send you a photocopy.  If not, maybe a request on here would get an offer from a fellow RCers to look for you.  (Sorry, not well enough to go and look for you myself.)

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
From The Times (online) account of the disaster the engine driver was called Samuel Martin from Crewe and the fireman was William Fletcher also from Crewe - both died. The Coroner opened the inquest on the 16th October and read out the names of the 18 dead - a man and woman were still to be identified - no William Buckley in the list, which included besides the engine driver and his fireman either passengers or post office letter sorters, since it was the night train.

There is this death registration in Atcham registration district which covered Shrewsbury but it is much later. The man is about the right age though for your William.

Deaths Mar 1927
Buckley  William S  53  ATCHAM  6A 1063

Perhaps there was a later railway accident and the account passed down through the family got woven into the more famous accident of 1907?

Regards

Valda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Though I can see a possible death registration for the driver

Deaths Dec 1907 
MARTIN  Samuel  54  Atcham  6a 389

I can't see a death registration for a William Fletcher only a Frederick Fletcher.

Deaths Dec 1907 
Fletcher  Frederick Owen  27  Atcham  6a 380
(birth registration in Macclesfield registration district and on the 1901 census he was an railway engine stoker living near Crewe so he would appear to be the stoker who died and The Times or the Coroner just initially got his first name wrong).

Regards

Valda

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou monica and Valda for your help.Maybe this is not the accident he was killed in.  I have already sent for the death cert of the william buckley who died in 1927 , and it wasn't my William.(strangely he was killed in a motorbike accident, it must be an unlucky name.!!!!)I will keep searching for a death cert this might be my only way of discovering how he died.Most of the family stories i have been given have an element of truth so i shall percevere   THANKS AGAIN     CHRIS

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I have just been to our local library (Whitchurch) and it has a full page on the crash with lots of details - I have printed all of the items off, if you would like copies please ask.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Here is a sample of the pages - the rest I will send on to you shortly.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Train crash SHREWSBURY 1907
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 07 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I saw on the pages I sent you that it said "cont'd from page 3" - thought I might have missed something.
Nothing on page 3 - you can't trust newspapers!!
On page 12 there was the following!!  ;)

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails