Author Topic: Alexander Mckenzie born 5th December 1832  (Read 1975 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Mckenzie born 5th December 1832
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Gadget who helped me on Sunday I am a lot further on with my research re Alexander Mckenzie.

On a visit to Libindx some time back I jotted down the details of the 1841 census concerning Alexander.  Could someone look up the 1841 census for Rathven and confirm or otherwise the age of Jean, Alexander's mother.  I have written down 55.  It is probably 35.   Also does it give an area in Rathven.  The reason I ask about the age is that in the 1851 census she is 40.   

The census should have Alexander and Jean as parents and children Elizabeth, George, Alexander, Isobel, and Ann.

Cheers
Betty

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie born 5th December 1832
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a transcription of the 1841 census online at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

I looked up the McKinzie family there. They are at Bauds, Rathven and their ages are
Alexander, 40
Jean, 35
Elizabeth, 14
George, 11
Alexander, 8
Isobell, 5
Ann, 1

Bauds is in the eastern part of the parish, inland between Portknockie and Findochty. You can see where it is on the map at www.streetmap.co.uk - search for OS grid reference 347450,867080.

There are some photographs of the area at www.geograph.org.uk. Search for grid square NJ4767.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie born 5th December 1832
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking that up. 

When I viewed the Michro Fiche of the original census I had not picked up on the age of the wife until now.  On our visit to Libindx we went with a load of research to do.  As our time was limited we just wrote down the details.  It is not until you get home you say that can't be right.  Not knowing the Rathven area I couldn't decipher the name of where they lived.

Thanks for all of that.  I only found this site the other day and have solved some important problems.

Cheers
Betty