Author Topic: Workhouse births .....  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
Workhouse births .....
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandmother Mary Ann Challicombe was born in Marylebone Workhouse in 1848. I have a copy of her birth certificate which gives her mother as Kezia Challicombe but no father, which is what I expected really when I realised where Mary Ann was born. About 3 years later Kezia marries a George Kennedy and somehow over the next 20 years they end up living in Cardiff where Mary Ann marries and has children, one of whom is my G Grandmother (another Kezia) whose wedding ring I have and wear all the time. And maybe because of this it's always been a branch of the family that I have affection for, although I have to say I'd given up all hope of knowing who Mary Ann's father was, until last night!

I was going some randon searches on Google and one of the names I typed in was Kezia Challicombe. This gave me one entry, a link to a website showing the family history of the Steer family and a link to an IGI record that shows a baptism in the chapel of Marylebone Workhouse of a Mary Ann Steer with parents Kezia Challicombe and William Steer, the birth date matching exactly to my Mary Ann's birth certifiicate. So I emailed the Steer site owner (which he encourages) to try and see if he has more information about William Steer but my emails keep failing.

So, where can I go from here? I've no idea where William is from or how old he is (he could have been 70 in 1848 for all I know) the only other information I have from later census entries is that Kezia was from Pill in Somerset (no mention of her in 1841) but again she may not have met William there as she was 24 when Mary Ann was born so old enough to have be working away. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated :-)
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse births .....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As the IGI baptism is an extracted entry from the Parish records it may be worth ordering the fiche ( No.6903652) from your nearest LDS library.  You will then be able to view it and see if there is any additional information regarding William.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:46 GMT (UK) »
The workhouse chapel entry itself should give the occupation of the child's father (I would expect the register to be held at the London Metropolitan Archives). If the occupation is something more original than labourer that is one further piece of information to cross check against William Steers on the 1851 census/1841 census. Not definitive proof but it would help eliminate some and perhaps give you some possibles.
I don't think any other Marylebone workhouse records survive this early.

Regards

Valda

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks both, I will follow up both suggestions. Not having access to a fiche reader myself (unless I can hunt on down from one of the other companies working in the same building as me) would I be able to visit my local LDS Library and see the fiche there? Although maybe my local council run library has one people can use.
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 20:11 GMT (UK) »
You will have to order the microfilm through your local LDS (Latter Day Saints) Family History Centre and use it there when it arrives (from Salt Lake City)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

http://tinyurl.com/2nmdkw

Regards

Valda