Author Topic: Where to Go in Wexford  (Read 4640 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where to Go in Wexford
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 English census says my gr gr gr grandparents were born in Wexford but doesn't give a town. My brother is going to be in Ireland in July and would like to do a little research. Is there a county records office he could go to that might have records or a central church records office? Pardon my ignorance on this. I would just love to make a dent here while I have this opportunity. He will also be in Dublin. Would that be a better place to start?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline peter866

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Go in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 07 01:01 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Kath I may be going the wrong way but a few years ago I decided to collect info. on all the families I have links to.I have about two hundered pages oc the Carty family.I am also interested in the Beales Martins, Annesleys Hydes, O'Brien Doyle Sanfey Flynn,Harris,Bennett Etc.I suggest you collect all you can on the Hayes  family.There is the tythe applotments,Griffiths valuations Ferns marriage liscences ,Lanlords papers etc.Please contact me if I come across Hayes I could let you know .Regards Peter

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 07 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to do this at some point, but right now I was hoping for some kind of starting point for my brother while he is in Ireland this summer. It would be wonderful to make a dent in this family while he has the opportunity.

Kath
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:37 GMT (UK) »
 Hello KathMc,
       You have not got much of a starting point, no Parish ,or Townland
  also it would be helpful if you knew there religion.
                     I would think if you have no information at all a good place to start would be the N. L. I. National Library of Ireland in Dublin.
                  Lep.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
They were Catholic from Wexford, and that's all I have at this point. I do know names and my ggg grandmother's maiden name and sister's name. I just hadn't posted it here, as I wasn't necessarily asking for a lookup, just guidance for my brother when he heads over there in the summer.

Thanks.

Kath

Offline peter866

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kath  Wexford Library is a ery good place to visit to look up records.If you do not know which area your ancestors came from would you like to look at a few surname lists. Wexford is my hobby my parents were from co. Wexford Regards Peter

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 07 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Peter, that would be great. The surnames are Hayes and McLean (or some variation of that). The only reason we know Wexford is from the 1891 census. My ggg grandfather, James, is still alive and he is living with his sister-in-law, Margaret McLean, in Staffordshire.

Kath

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 08 01:29 BST (UK) »
Peter

wondering if you could help at all ?  I found your message while trawling through the wexford lists and noticed this posting.  I am searching for 2 family members on two branches of my family, my mothers side and my fathers side.  I will be in Wexford from 21 Aug till 25th August ( I know - not a lot of time !) and wondered if the Wexford Library would be able to help me in my search.  The names I am looking for are Anastascia Furlong - father Patrick Furlong Coach Driver, RC, but have no idea of town. The other Mary Kate Harris nee Blaney also RC, buried in or on Ladysisland, her daughter Veronica Harris (my gran) was born in Broadway, her father John Harris was in the R.Navy as a coastguard.  Having such a short time to look wondered if you knew if the library would be the best place to look.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well I am now back from Wexford, and have to say that if you are stuck for a starting point then Wexford Library is a great place to start.  They have census records for both years and lots of other stuff too.  The staff there are extreemly helpful and friendly, I spent hours trailing through census records and found all the family members on my moms side that had been missing for so long, I also answered so many mysteries surrounding my gran.  The staff took great interest in what I was looking for and were delighted when found information.  Thank you Wexford library !

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island