Author Topic: Died in Guernsey on holiday, born in England - how do I find info?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Died in Guernsey on holiday, born in England - how do I find info?
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is a look up request as not sure if this death would have been registered in England or Guernsey but I have been told Guernsey.

Its my step Grandfather and he raised my Aunt who would really like to confirm the information I have found for her.

His name is William Frederick Cooke.  He died on Guernsey while on holiday (in a shop we believe) - my Aunt thinks Sept 1955 but also remembers he would have retired the following year so that would make him about 64 years old.  He was also buried on Guernsey.

I have found a William Frederick Cooke who may be the right one born in 1982 in the right area of London for our relative.  I would like to get a copy of the death certificate so I can confirm some details if possible.  I have the birth certificate of the William Frederick I have found.

I did think the death may also be registered in England with him being born in London but have been unable to find anything.

Can anyone help me?  I presume I will need to find the reference number but don't have a subscription that allows me to search outside the UK.  I also do not know where I can order the death certificate from.

Many thanks
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Guernsey on holiday, born in England - how do I find info?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Not related to you but out of interest my grandfather William Williams also died while on holiday  from England in  July .1955.
What were they up to .
anyway it was an article in the paper so your incident probably was as well.
don't know anymore than that ? sorry .
Interesting coincidence tho. I might even have an adress here from someone who was doing geneology over there . i will look it up for you.
Regards >
Jan.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You can contact here for the guernsey death registers.

http://www.priaulx.gov.gg/

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Not related to you but out of interest my grandfather William Williams also died while on holiday  from England in  July .1955.

What a strange coincidence.   :o

anyway it was an article in the paper so your incident probably was as well.

Any idea how I could find out if 'my' William was in the paper as well?  How did you find out?

Interesting coincidence tho. I might even have an adress here from someone who was doing geneology over there . i will look it up for you.

Brilliant thanks Jan.  :)

Quote from: Kevwood
Hi,

You can contact here for the guernsey death registers.

http://www.priaulx.gov.gg/

Kev.

Thanks Kev.  I note it costs £10 per hour though.  Any idea how many hours it would take or if they do the search then charge according to how long it takes after?  £10 is fine but I may struggle a bit if they take 8 hours and I find out afterwards when I get the bill  :o ;D  I don't want to contact them then embarass myself  ;)
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 07 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought less than an hour as you roughly know the year.

Email them and ask.

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline kiwipom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 07 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Similar to you, my Gmother died on the last day of her holiday in 1956, she was due to return to the Mainland.
She is buried at Foulon and it is registered in Guernsey, not Mainland.

Try the Priaulx, ask for a quote. They are exceptionally good and will understand your situation.
My 3x Gt Gfather went to Guernsey in the early 1800's, they were able to give me some very good information.
Good Luck
Evans,  (Marylebone).
Algate,   (Wembury, Plymouth Devon)
Chammings, (Jacobstowe, Hatherleigh, Iddesleigh)
Chummings.  (Jacobstowe, Devon)
Taylor,  (Minterne, Dorset)
Taylor, Ozanne, le Huray.  (Guernsey).
Dunn,    ( North Grimston, Rillington).
Pickering, Forth,  (Crowland, Spalding).
Forth, (Welney, Norfolk)
Roberts.  (Ampthill).
Hippisley,Fry, Dagger.  (Bath,Somerset).
Dyer, White.  (Pontardawe. Bath.)
Rivis, (East Yorks.)
Daly, (Culmullin, Co. Meath)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 07 08:34 GMT (UK) »
hi,
 with three of our grandparents ? dying whilst on holiday  1955/56 please remind me where Guernsey is so i can miss it out of my itinerary , .
Jan :o :o
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 February 07 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Death certificates are not enormously helpful though it should give his birth date which will narrow down your search for that certificate.      You should be able to find him on a census for 1901 if he was 64 in 1955.   I assume the date you give for birth should be 1892?   
His marriage certificate might be a better bet to find as that will give his age, occupation and father's name and occupation and confirm if the birth one you have is correct.
Andrea

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 February 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
hi,
 with three of our grandparents ? dying whilst on holiday  1955/56 please remind me where Guernsey is so i can miss it out of my itinerary , .
Jan :o :o

No 4 - my Nan died there also  :o  Although technically as I said this is a relation by 'raising a child' rather than blood but in my book thats a very important relation. :)
London - COOKE