Author Topic: Died in Guernsey on holiday, born in England - how do I find info?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Died in Guernsey on holiday, born in England - how do I find info?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 February 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Death certificates are not enormously helpful though it should give his birth date which will narrow down your search for that certificate.      You should be able to find him on a census for 1901 if he was 64 in 1955.   I assume the date you give for birth should be 1892?   

Yes I am looking to confirm a birth year of 1892.  I figured the death certificate would give me age and year of death and I could work backwards from there.

His marriage certificate might be a better bet to find as that will give his age, occupation and father's name and occupation and confirm if the birth one you have is correct.
Andrea

Yes I know but ahem they weren't married ahem although my nan did 'live under his name'.  I assume she was still married to her previous husband (my grandad) and there were difficulties in getting a divorce.   Fortunately that was a not very well hidden 'secret' or else I would be even more stuck!
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 February 07 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Oops!   Did he do National service or fight in the wars?     Those records might help.
Hope you find him....
Andrea

Offline Lemmey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 February 07 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea.  Unfortunately all we know about him is what we have.   His name, a possible name for his sister, who he lived with and where while my aunt was a child (so after census years) and when and where he died. 

I must admit I haven't had time to follow any leads yet so the new replies to this thread was a fortunate reminder :)
Croydon, Surrey - KENT, SKILTON, BESLEY, HIGGS
Surrey & Kent - GARDNER, GARDENER, GARDINER, DALLAWAY, STRUDWICK, LANE, PENFOLD (Roma/Traveller)
London - COOKE
Shropshire/Denbighshire/Montgomershire  - FRANCIS, LLOYD
Staffordshire - TOOTH, DEVALL

Offline kismet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 07 09:28 GMT (UK) »
You should try contacting:

The Judicial Greffe, The Royal Court House, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 2PB for the death certificate.  Their telephone number is 01481 725277. 

This is where one applies for a copy of a death certificate.  They are most helpful.

Kismet
Parker:  Bath, Birmingham, Reading & London
Packer: Bitton, Glos & Birmingham
Webb:  Towcester & London 
King/Collett:  London
Young:  Goxhill, Lincs
Olds/Hopes:  Bitton, Glos
Blumenthal/Dale:  Germany, Liverpool, Bournemouth & Southampton 
Klein/Keene:  Liverpool, Swindon & Reading
Fasser/Fiszer & Berliner:  Poland & Liverpool
Suffolk:  Lutterworth