Author Topic: Census Lookup please -Buchanan  (Read 6790 times)

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Census Lookup please -Buchanan
« on: Thursday 25 January 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Would someone please see if they can find William Buchanan b 1806 Killearn in the census? I am trying to see if he is W George Buchanan or just William Buchanan son of Robert Buchanan and Elizabeth McGibbon.

Many thanks
Cheers
CJW
Australia
Gibson, McKenzie & Elliot,- Northumberland & Montrose
Smith, Sutherland,McKay- Watten Caithness
 Gorie, Dishon, Allan, Smith, Tait & Clouston - Orkney
Downie and McDonald Allen & Adam- Ross & Lanark
Buchanan, McFarlane - Stirling & Dumbarton
Cornall, Thompson, Hoole,Gillow,Catterall -Lancashire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Census Lookup please -Buchanan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

There is a William Buchanan showing in 1851, b. 1806 in Killeam (transcription?) Stirlingshire:

William Buchanan 45, wood sawyer, b. Killeam Stirlingshire:
Agnes Buchanan    40, b. Ireland
Sarah Buchanan    11, b. England
Mary Buchanan    8, b. England
Maria Buchanan    5, b. Ireland
Ann Buchanan    3, b. Glasgow
John Buchanan    6 Mo, b. Glasgow

Address:  8 St Enoch's Wynd, Glasgow

Going by the IGI entries for the two youngest, Agnes mother was Agnes Martin. The family is still in Glasgow (Tradeston) for the 1861 census, no additional children.

Whether this William Buchanan is the son of Robert and Elizabeth McGibbon you could only confirm by looking at his DC. There is another William Buchanan on IGI with similar bith details, different parents:

WILLIAM BUCHANAN  Christening: 16 APR 1806  Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
Parents: Father: JOHN BUCHANAN    Mother: MARGARET BUCHANAN

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 07 04:48 GMT (UK) »
HI Monica

Not having any luck with George Buchanan, went to SP and found 17 various counties. One in Stirling b 1805 to an Alex. and Margaret Wingate, found a Robert and an Isabella but couldn't find a sister Elizabeth on IGI (I'd used up all my credits by then :o)
On the 1851 census do you know if it had birth Killean or was it Killearn? Mind you I can't find a George in either place!!!!!!

Cannot find a birth for Isabella Buchanan (Robert and Eliz McGibbon) married to a Bryce in the reference you sent me with Elizabeth Buchanan in the household. Maybe she is the Alexander Buchanan and Margt Wingate's Isabella.

Off to an 80th birthday celebration with the Buchanan/McFarlane Gibson and Elliott relatives, I'll ask around and see what information any one else has - bound to add to the confusion!

Cheers
Cheryl

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 07 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

There is a William Buchanan showing in 1851, b. 1806 in Killeam (transcription?) Stirlingshire:

William Buchanan 45, wood sawyer, b. Killeam Stirlingshire:
Agnes Buchanan    40, b. Ireland
Sarah Buchanan    11, b. England
Mary Buchanan    8, b. England
Maria Buchanan    5, b. Ireland
Ann Buchanan    3, b. Glasgow
John Buchanan    6 Mo, b. Glasgow

Address:  8 St Enoch's Wynd, Glasgow

Going by the IGI entries for the two youngest, Agnes mother was Agnes Martin. The family is still in Glasgow (Tradeston) for the 1861 census, no additional children.

Whether this William Buchanan is the son of Robert and Elizabeth McGibbon you could only confirm by looking at his DC. There is another William Buchanan on IGI with similar bith details, different parents:

WILLIAM BUCHANAN  Christening: 16 APR 1806  Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
Parents: Father: JOHN BUCHANAN    Mother: MARGARET BUCHANAN

Regards.

Monica  :)

Hi again Monica, on page 4 Stirlingshire Rootschat, Author Mrs Tibbetts Buchanan of Killearn, mentions Agnes Bryce Buchanan head of household etc son David Buchanan born Killearn etc. Is this the Bryce family you referred to with Isabella and Elizabeth Buchanan in the 1861 Census?
These Buchanans are driving me CRAZY, if I didn't exist I'd think that they didn't!

Cheers
Cheryl

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 07 11:05 GMT (UK) »
HI Cheryl

I've pulled together the various posts from the Lanarkshire, Stirling and Dunbarton boards together with some PMs because at the very least, I'm getting confused  :)

Firstly re post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,110629.0.html re Agnes Bryce Buchanan, not sure how these may be connected to your line although obviously the names (Bryce and Buchanan) are two that you are looking at.

Now going back to your original post for George: Trying to find information ie birth for a George Buchanan, b about 1806, the son of a Robert Buchanan. Census 1851 in Glasgow gives his birth as Killearn, married to Margaret McFarlan b Drymen. Had at least 1 sister Elizabeth Buchanan (aged 55 years in the census) living with him.

So this is the family in 1851:

George Buchana    45, carter, b. Kilean, Stirlingshire
Margaret Buchana 38, b. Drymen, Stirlingshire
Mary Buchana    16, d, b. Glasgow
Janet Buchana    14, d, b. Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire
William Buchana 12, s, b. Kilmaronock, Dumbartonshire
Janet Paterson    22, lodger, french polisher, b. Clackmanan
Elizabeth Buchana 55, servant, sister in law, b. Kilean, Stirlingshire

And from Joe, the family in 1841:

1841 census; glebe street, barony martyrs

george...age 35...ag lab
margaret...age 30
mary...age 7
janet...age 5
william...age 3

All showing as born outside the county apart from Mary.

Tracing through the sister Elizabeth that shows living with George and Margaret, I sent you details of the 1861 census entry (and 1851) for another potential sister to George,  Isabella, who married a David Bryce:

Isabella Bryn (Bryce)   58, b. Kilarn, Stirlingshire
Ann Bryn    20
Mary Bryn    18
Elizabeth Buchanan    69, b. Killearn, sister

Address:  63 George St, Paisley High Church, Renfrewshire

And the closest match for sister Elizabeth in the 1841 Census, maybe with mother Elizabeth McGibbon and a brother Robert (which would also fit as father was called Robert):

Elizabeth Buchanan      abt 1771     
Elizabeth Buchanan    abt 1801   
Robert Buchanan    abt 1816, bridge keeper

Address: Stockingfield, Barony, Glasgow. All born out of county.

Now the children showing on IGI to a Robert Buchanan and Elizabeth McGibbon:

1. MARY BUCHANAN  Christening: 16 SEP 1793 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
2. DAVID BUCHANAN Christening: 15 JAN 1797 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
3. ROBERT BUCHANAN Christening: 25 MAR 1810 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
4. WILLIAM BUCHANAN Christening: 16 MAR 1806 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
5. ELIZABETH BUCHANAN Christening: 07 JUL 1795 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland

From which you potentially have a William rather than a George and no Isabella showing, but as I'm sure you know the OPR entries are not always conclusive. You have however found documents in Australia which refer to George as ''W. George Buchanan' so the growing theory is that George may have been originally christened William which would fit the above OPR entry.

Also, by PM, I sent you the following:

Elizabeth's death in 1867 confirms parents as Robert, a watchman, and Elizabeth McGibbon. Mother's name Elizabeth would also fit better for the names given to George and Margaret's children (Mary Elizabeth b. 1834). Below are the 1841/51/61 entries for potential sister Isabella, with Elizabeth living with her in 1861.

..........So where do you go from here! It's a pity son William looks to have misreported father's mother's name incorrectly on George's DC. What we have all managed to pull together for you here on RootsChat is probably the most that can be extracted on line. The marriage for a George B. and Margaret McFarlane in 1832 as you know is a submitted entry. Just an outside possibility that he may have married as William, I have found this:

WILLIAM BUCHANAN Marriages: Spouse: MARGARET MCFARLANE    
Marriage:  15 JUN 1827  Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

This is an actual extract from the OPRs. May explain, if there were some early children who died prior to the 1841 Census, why there are no children for the couple with their father's names (ie Robert and George)? The OPR images have just become available on line on SP. Remote chance that they may contain some additional info on the bride and groom but more likely the entry may not include any more info that shown above.

Regards.

Monica

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 07 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Monica, I'll keep searching, Rootschat has been a great resource and other "chatters" very helpful.
Again many thanks I appreciate the help.

Cheers
Cheryl

Offline CJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thought I'd let you know the latest on George Buchanan. The family all are sure his name is George, and that the signature I found on a document was just a squiggle, NOT W George Buchanan. I logged on to Scotlands People and cannot find a George born in Killearn Stirling as per the census entries, however I found the birth of a George Buchanan 1800 Berwick (Swinton and Simprim). What made me take notice was that the father was a William Buchanan and the mother Isobel Jaffrey. George Buchanan's son is William Jaffrey! I thought originally the spelling should have been Jeffery, maybe it is a maiden name.  So here I go again, why oh why couldn't his death certificate informant have got the parent's names CORRECT :'(  The Elizabeth Buchanan in the census you kindly sent is sister in law, do I presume it is George's or his wife Margaret's sister in law.

How frustrating this hobby is

Cheers

CJW Cheryl
Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

Frustrating (though fun) hobby it is  :)

Not sure what to advice for you to do next  :-\ We seem to have exhausted all the on-line resources for George. We have him and family from 1841 and 1851 Censuses. Also, you have the OPR marriage for them in Kilmaronock. Margaret's details are more straightforward and you have been able to identify her family.

There does not appear to be an actual/submitted birth or christening entry for George in Killearn (or anywhere else) on SP or IGI to the parents showing on his death cert, reported by son William in Australia.

Given the early period we are in, pre official reg. in 1855, the records as you have found are patchy. It may that his birth details have been lost over the years or his birth was never registered. Given that they only seem to have had 3 living children whose names don't really seem to reflect grandparents' names, it also hard to use them as some form of verification.

The Elizabeth showing with the family is down as s-i-l. Normally relationships are shown to head of the household. That would imply she was s-i-l to George.  Whether this was correctly recorded (and should it actually be sister), you would have to research further. What we do know is that Elizabeth was also born in Killearn around the time frame of George and her father was Robert, as we know George's was. To check whether a sister of Margaret's married a Buchanan, you would have to try to follow up all Margaret's known sisters' marriages.

It is hard researching as you are without being able to verify the info. Sadly that's the point we all reach, sooner or later  :'(

Regards.

Monica