Author Topic: Can anyone tell me where this place is?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me where this place is?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Well, that was easy...what's next?  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, thank you both for your help.  It's times like this that I just LOVE Rootschat!

Prue  :-*

Offline RBcabal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 January 07 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Prue

The name of the place is AUCHMADS. Have a look at this map http://www.nls.uk:8080/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=Maps&item=/74400177.sid&style=maps.xsl&wid=700&hei=500&browser=win_ie&plugin=false#  Its just to the east of Boharm Old Kirk & Manse and is clearly marked. Zoom in on the map and move right to extreme edge, then up until you get to Boharm. It looks like it is just a little hamlet.

Happy Hunting

Bill
Kelbie, Jamieson, Keith, Williamson, Cameron, Stewart, White/Whyte (Scottish Travelling Families)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, and thanks for the map, I hadn't seen that site before so I've marked in as a favourite!
The "Auchmads" on that map looks like it's the same place as the "Auchmadies" on the map I found at old-maps.co.uk.  Obviously there were several spelling variants back in those days!  Shown as "Auchmadies" on modern maps.
Thank you for your interest, and for showing me another handy map resource  :D
Cheers
Prue

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 February 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Having just downloaded a marriage registration from Scotlandspeople (very excited about this new service!) I am having trouble reading the place name after the bride's name.  I've attached the entry below.  It seems to say "Ashmades" or "Achmades" but not being familiar with the area (Boharm parish) I can't make sense of it.  Would anyone have any ideas?

It is indeed Auchmadies, as has been suggested. You can look it up on www.streetmap.co.uk

Also, does the place name refer to where the bride is from, or the bride and groom, or where they actually married?

I read it as meaning that both the bride and the groom were resident in Auchmadies at the time of their marriage. As the most common place for a marriage ceremony was the bride's home or residence, I reckon it is also the place where they were married.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wjmilne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 November 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Go to <geograph.org.uk>
Select from the map a square for Banff.
Search box insert Auchmadies
get pictures.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Go to <geograph.org.uk>
Select from the map a square for Banff.
Search box insert Auchmadies
get pictures.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=16599369
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.