Author Topic: What a fantastic New Year I am having  (Read 3839 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
What a fantastic New Year I am having
« on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Well as you know from previous posts I have been searching for hubby's Mum's family. Main problem was that they were from Burma and have emigrated everywhere but no one knows exactly where.

Upto 4 years ago I had a couple of names for Pansy's siblings (she's deceased now so I can use her name). Then ekdest brother in law gave me two addresses which were put into the electoral roll. One was a match for the surname and family names so I sent a letter explaining who we were. Within days we had a phone call from Pansy's only living brother. The best part was that a sister was visiting from Australia so we met her as well. Only one other sister was alive but she is a bit of a recluse but we made contact with her children. We all met within a week of the phone call and are in constant contact.

Anyway I often typed in names and areas but got nothing at all until last November when one of Pansy's deceased brother's daughters contacted me from Australia. So that was another member found.

Then in the first week of January I decided to google names I had in the tree with no details or hardly any. With one name I got 4 hits. One was from a woman looking for her Stepbrother. The details she gave matched the details I had to a tee so I emailed her. She isn't the step sister but the half sister so she is Pete's (hubby) 2nd cousin. The other hits were regarding a book that this name had published to do with his childhood in Burma. I bought the book and it is him - I'm so sure I would bet my life on it. I contacted the publishers with what I knew and they promised to get the details to him and he would be in touch. I haven't heard anything yet but live in hope.

Now Pansy's mum, Florence was the youngest of 7 children.

I already had info on one of the sisters - Adelaide - as her Grandaughter had contacted me.

The woman looking for her half brother lives in Pakistan and we are in constant contact now. Our friend Zahoor is visiting relatives there this month and is going to visit her next week to take photos etc. She has passed my email onto her brother, also in Australia and we are in contact. They are the grandchildren of another sister - Mercy

Last night I sat thinking how lovely it would be to be able to find info on the other siblings of Florence. She had 3 brothers and another sister. John the eldest died when he was a teenager so that left one brother William, a brother Bertie and a sister Mildred. I had basic details of who they had married and that was it.

Today one of Pete's cousins phones us. They have had a phone call from a woman who says she is a cousin of his mothers (the recluse)They gave her my phone number and said if anyone knew anything it would be me.

She called me and it turns out she is the daughter of Bertie!!  :o  Excited was not the word for how I felt. When I get like that I tend to pace up and down. I must have walked at least 6 miles during that phone call !  ;D

She said she would send me all the details she had. I just happened to mention that I just needed details on William and Mildred and the family would be all found and she told me ............ they all live within 5 miles of her!!!!!!!   :o :o :o  By this time I am also jumping up and down never mind walking.

So now after searching for so many years we have them all - I haven't been in contact with all of them yet but give me a fortnight or so and i will lol. Photos which have had "unknown" people on them will now be identified. There are still family members over in Burma but we will have addresses for them. The cousin in Pakistan has already said she will visit them if we can find out where they are and now she will be able to do that.

Pete just keeps telling me that I've done great - but is still in a bit of shock that the whole family is now known right back to 1865 and especially in a country where we don't have easy access to records etc.

Now I know I am ranting but I am so happy that I had to share with everyone. It just goes to show that even though there may be obstacles stopping us searching we can still find them. I was going to say with patience but I would be lying there lol.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What a fantastic New Year I am having
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I am so pleased for you - what a wonderful start to the new year.  I found out some information last year on a relative that I never dreamt I would find in a thousand years so I have some idea how you feel.

I hope your new contacts provide you with all the information you are searching for.

Cathy ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Well done Carol, really chuffed for you  :)

Just shows what the power of the internet and perseverance can achieve.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both

Just sending them an email now so should get the details even quicker

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Carol !!   ;D

Well done you, and how wonderful that your new found family wanted to make contact - you'll be walking on air for days !!

Thanks for sharing, it's inspiring  :D

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:55 GMT (UK) »

Isn't it weird how you can go for years ..... then all of a sudden information starts falling in your lap ..... ?? :)

I was told it was called "divine timing " ........ when the time is right it will come !!  :) :) :)

Wonderful news Carol ! .... ( maybe it was the crazy gales blowing it in !! )

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 07 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Great news; just shows what you can achieve when you put your mind to it!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 07 17:39 GMT (UK) »

Isn't it weird how you can go for years ..... then all of a sudden information starts falling in your lap ..... ?? :)

I was told it was called "divine timing " ........ when the time is right it will come !!  :) :) :)

Annie  :)

The even stranger thing was that I decided to search the LDS site even though I had no luck before. It came up with the G Grandmother's name and birth date. Only difference was her middle name and parents names. When I checked for Lopez in India the only one to show was Mercy who is the grandmother of the lady in Pakistan - none of the others showed up. On that entry the G Grandmothers full name was listed so the first find was right.

Seemed strange that the only one to show was the Grandmother of the person I had just found.

Now I can start a booklet for this side of the family to give to everyone.

Carol

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 07 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

Rant away. What wonderful news for you. Just unvbelievable.

Annie is right, once one piece falls in place, that brick wall just tumbles down. I am just waiting for my divine timing :D.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA