Author Topic: What a fantastic New Year I am having  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: What a fantastic New Year I am having
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 January 07 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kath - all help is appreciated.

Proofreading will definitely be something I will do - too many names and places with wierd spellings not to do that lol

Carol
I love your sense of humour ! lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline jakky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 January 07 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ya Carol,

what lovely and uplifting news to share with us, good on yer girl, must be all that Blackpool  Rock,

Jakky
Thomas.  Wigan Bolton & Fleetwood
Wilcox. Liverpool & Fleetwood.
Lamplough. Hull.
Hallam. Wigan & Bolton
Jordan. Hackney.
Burtonwood. Wigan,Bolton
All Census Look Up Transcriptions Are Crown Copyright.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations, Carol, and well done!

Your experience is inspiring, to say the least!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 January 07 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kath - all help is appreciated.

Proofreading will definitely be something I will do - too many names and places with wierd spellings not to do that lol

Carol
I love your sense of humour ! lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Poll

See!! I definitely need a proof reader wierd should be weird I know  :-[

Got 7 pages done already so not doing too bad

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 January 07 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Seven pages is great. Getting started is often the hardest part.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 January 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Well I tried to start with the earliest who is the common Great Grandfather - Francis Bruno Hutchinson Lopez born 1865. Told of his parents work - spice merchants - then went on to his marriage and his children and what work he did in Burma - Plenty of internet searching for info on the areas and it just went from there.

Best part was that the cousin who contacted us yesterday phoned again tonight - for over an hour - and gave me so much onfo about her and her father (Great Uncle to hubby) I am now trying to put it into some order so I can put it in the booklet. Turns out she has a copy of the marriage certificate for Francis and Agnes so that is fantastic to have. She's sending me a copy of that along with all other certs she has straight from India and Burma.

This family is way bigger than I thought though - her father was married three times altogether before he died aged 68.
 His first marriage he had 4 children, second marriage gave him another seven and the third marriage gave him another seven - yes your maths is correct  - 18 kids !!!!!   :o  :o  :o
 My goodness how did he feed and clothe them all?
Apparently they all have their own children and have at least 6 each. The last seven still live in Burma so I don't think we will get to meet them in the near future

She has decided that she will get hubby to type it all out for her father's info and also the other two siblings that I needed info and she is going to post it to me - sooner him than me having to type that lot out.

So the booklet is going to be a bit thicker than I originally thought it would be but who cares.

Carol
(still on a high and not near the ground just yet)
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 27 January 07 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Eighteen kids. Lordy. I can't even imagine that. How do you pick names? And then what's that, over 68 grandchildren.  :o :o :o

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 January 07 10:51 GMT (UK) »
The main problem will be printing it out - how to print it out as a booklet as I have no programme that would do that. Doing it as a PDF is okay for those with a computer but many don't have one. Putting it onto CD as a slide show would be a good idea but again some don't have computers

Anyone know of any good cheap (if not free) programmes that I can use to publish as a book

Carol

Really pleased about your breakthroughs, Carol. 

On making books, I have just used Word and put them in a plastic folder with a transparent cover - or use slide bars with clear covers.  Nothing fancy, but it's better than a bunch of sheets stapled together in the top left hand corner.

I recently got myself a DTP program off a computer magazine cover disc - Serif page Plus.  I've only used this for experiments to date, but for the price of a magazine (and withstanding pressures from Serif to buy other "bargains" when I registered it), it looks quite a good deal.

Good luck with the rapidly growing booklets  :)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 January 07 12:23 GMT (UK) »

Well done Carol, it must have been absolutely heaven to recieve all that information and after searching so long for it too.

Good luck with the booklets . .. ..   which will probably turn into full size novels     ;D

Barbara                       8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton