Author Topic: Halfdavoch, Avoch  (Read 4205 times)

Offline rjmbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halfdavoch, Avoch
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 June 22 11:15 BST (UK) »
I should add that I found out the following information about Lettoch (Halfdavoch) in Kilmorack.
In ‘The Braes : Parish of Kilmorack : a study of the history and demography of the crofting townships or farms of Altyre, Barnyards, Broallan, Craigscorrie, Croyard, Cruivend, Drumindorsair, Groam, Inchrory, Kilmorack, Platchaig, Ruisaurie, Ruilick, Teachnuick, Teafrish, Teawig, Tomich, Torgormack, Wellhouse and Wester Balbair, 1700-2000’ by H. W. Harrison (Kilmorack Heritage Association), published by St Albans, 2002, in the entry for 'Croyard, Barnyards and Tomich':

•   Lettoch (Halfdavoch), p.192: ‘In the Lovat Estate rental of 1755 the name of the tenant of the half Duagh (Davoch) of Lettoch was James Fraser. (NAS E 769/69).’ Lettoch was recorded as Halfdavoch in the OPRs with the following entries:
o   Servants: 1762 Dec 17th John Munro to James Fraser baptised Ann, …, 1765 Dec 20th William Fraser baptised James
o   Tacksmen: 1762 Dec 14th James Fraser baptised Nellie

The site of the farm seems to be between Tomich and Ardnagrask, on the other side of the burn from Tomich Mains, apparently near the village of Windhill, which doesn’t appear on the Estate Map (possibly because it was situated in Urray parish).

Also, an entry on p.128 of the Scottish History Society’s ‘Scottish Forfeited Estate Papers’ (Vol. 57)  says the following about James Fraser in Lettoch:
‘Petition, James Fraser in Lettoch, part of the estate of Lovat. Petitioner has made upwards of 2000 yards of fence around his possession, and expects the Board to grant him a Lease of 41 years. Factor thinks he is entitled to a 21 years’ Lease. Read 19 Feb. 1770.’
Fraser of Killachy

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 June 22 13:31 BST (UK) »
I have just found out that there were actually two places called Lettoch. Both are on the Beauly Firth the same distance away from Redcastle, Killearnan, but on either side of it (east and west). The western one is (or was) a farm just outside Beauly, Kilmorack, but close to Windhill, Urray, whereas the eastern one is near North Kessock. It seems we have to be very careful of this type of place name duplication in that part of the world. The western Lettoch (Halfdavoch) can be seen on the Lovat Estate map on the right-hand side of the page called 'A Plan of that Part of the Annexed Estate of Lovat lying in the Parish of Kilmorack' at https://maps.nls.uk/view/188105992. The western place called Lettoch can be seen on the map at https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4040307. I hope this helps a little with the search.
You are absolutely right that you need to be careful about assuming that a place you find with the same name in the wrong parish is the one you are looking for.

There are more Lettochs than just those two: one each in the parishes of Aberlour, Inveravon and Mortlach in Banffshire;  one in the parish of Abernethy and Kincardine in Inverness-shire; and one in the parish of Cromdale Inverallan and Advie in Morayshire.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758930.0 - basically, if it's not in the right parish, it's the wrong place, even if you can't find it in the right parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rjmbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 22 08:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Forfarian,
Thank you for responding to my post. I only realized afterwards that the original query was posted in 2007 (I think)! I'm new to the site.
Fraser of Killachy