Author Topic: Filey Brickwall  (Read 5597 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Filey Brickwall
« on: Friday 26 January 07 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Please, please, please can someone help me with my brickwall. I am looking for the birth of Robert Chew a Blacksmith around 1800 maybe earlier or later. His son was also called Robert and was born 1821 in Filey. Does anyone know where I would find the Parish Registers for Filey for the period 1740-1800 so that I can check for Robert the Blacksmith's Christening.

Margaret

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Filey Brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 07 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I have just looked on the IGI for Filey and area births and marriages for Chew. A Robert Chew was born 1815 son of Robert Chew and Ann (probably Crumpton) who married in Filey 28/07/1801. A Robert Chew was born in Bempton in 1783, son of John Chew. There was a previous Robert Chew born 1781 but he died the year after. I don't know if 1783 is too early for your ancestors?
Regards
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 07 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Scarboro

I honestly don't know about this family I am getting very confused. My Robert Chew was born 1821 to Robert and Ann Chew. I have looked on the IGI and there are 3 references to a Robert Chew marrying an Ann. So was it 3 Robert Chew's marrying 3 women called Ann or one Robert Chew marrying 3 women called Ann? Very confusing!

On Robert Chew (the son's) marriage certificate he states that his father is Robert Chew a Blacksmith. I also have the death certificate dated 1872 for Ann Chew aged 80 widow of Robert Chew Blacksmith. So I think Robert the father must have been born circa 1790.

The reference that I have dating back to 1749 for Robert Chew the Blacksmith says he lives in Filey. So presuming he was approximately 30-60 years old in 1749 there has to be another generation or even two of the Chew family living in Filey prior to Robert Chew birth circa 1790.

How can I find birth/Christening of Robert the Blacksmith circa 1790? Have you any suggestions.

Margaret

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Are the parish registers in Northallerton or Beverley for Filey? You could put up a request for someone going to the East Riding Archives maybe? One thing I find quite odd is that the records for St Oswald's Church in Filey seemed quite detailed and that is why I started looking further afield.
I went on the census after I replied to you and it is very complicated isn't it? None of the people I found seemed to match who you were looking for. Did the Roberts stay in Filey or did they go to Great Driffield?
Sorry I haven't been much help
Scarbro

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The family appears to have stayed in Filey from the middle of the 18th century until at least 1901 so that is why I was concentrating on the town rather than looking further afield. As I see it Robert Chew of Filey age not known in 1749 the village Blacksmith had a son (name not known) who had a son (name not known) who had Robert Chew circa 1790. I think the Blacksmith business was handed down father to son for a number of generations and when Robert born 1821 was born either the business had died out due to competition or maybe he had older brothers who became the Blacksmith and so he became a butcher.

Where would I find St Oswald's Parish Records to see if I can trace the family back from Robert born 1821 apart from the IGI? Maybe there is a way of unravelling the mystery and tracing the missing generations but I am blowed if I know how to do it.

Margaret

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 January 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I have just done a search on Filey and there is a lovely website done by BillLealman. One of the things on the site is photos of St Oswald's . This is the contact address: webmaster@lealman.fsnet.co.uk
There is also a museum in Filey and their contact address is contact@fileymuseum.co.uk
The websites for the 2  places are: http://www.fileymuseum.co.uk/contact.htm http://www.lealman.fsnet.co.uk/filey3c.html
I think that the parish registers are at the East Riding Archives Beverley
Scarbro

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 07 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information I will get started right away. Think I will have to persuade my husband to have a few days in Beverley to have a look at the Parish Registers.

Thanks once again.

Margaret

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Margaret. If I find anything else I'll email you.
All the best
Scarbro

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I would let you know that I looked on Genuki at the trade directories for 1829 and Robert Chew blacksmith is named as one of two blacksmiths. In the 1834 trade directory his name is missing but there are now 5 blacksmiths. So I think he may have died during those 5 years because he isn't on the 1841 census. I'm getting closer. Yipeeee!!!

Margaret