Author Topic: Forster / Ferguson /Woollet families  (Read 2423 times)

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forster / Ferguson /Woollet families
« on: Friday 26 January 07 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I am looking for info on the intertwined families of:

Andrew Forster born c1860 and married to Margaret Anne (maiden name unknown)
the little information I have is that they had a son called John born c 1887 Longwitton.

John married Eleanor Jane Ferguson 1913 Morpeth

Eleanor was born in West Sleekburn to Robert Ferguson and Sarah Jane Woollett (Sarah born Tynemouth C1864)

Eleanor and John had:
Andrew 1914
Robert 1918 - Blaydon Burn
Elsie 1922
Madge or Marge
Margaret (Peggy) - Blackhall Mill
Amy (died young c1924/6)+
William - Hexham

Many thanks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Forster / Ferguson /Woollet families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 07 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
Do you have John & Eleanor's marriage certificate?  (December Quarter 1913 Morpeth 10b 763)  If so, what was John's occupation, and Andrew's occupation, may help in deciding if this is the right family in the census:

1891 RG12/4248 fol.119 p.7 Grinden(?) Hill, Haydon, Hexham, Northumberland
Andrew Forster head mar 40 Farm Labourer Cumberland Kirklinton
Margaret  "       wife     "    38                               "               "
Jane A      "       dau           14                               "               "
Mary         "         "             12 Scholar                   "               "
Elizabeth  "         "               9      "                        "               "
Margaret  "         "               7      "                  Northumberland Whitfield
Robert      "       son            5                                "                         "
John         "          "             3                                 "                         "
James       "          "             1                                 "                  Haydon     

Barbara 
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 07 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hey thanks loads that is fantastic.  I will be of to do some digging (once I've completed my assignments!!!  the joys of taking further education! doing my homework with my kids!)

A lot of the names in that census return are corresponding with some names I had been given but could not tie in properly -
Jane born 1877
Mary
Margaret
Robert
Elizabeth
but I do have a George, William and Bella too!
Perhaps these may have been Andrews children...  We shall see. 

Also the places appear to all link in - my hubs cousin said that he was sure the place of origins was around Carlisle.  (He did have full tree on comp but it crashed and he lost all the info - let that be a lesson to all of us)

I am just in the process of ordering various certificates so hopefully I'll have some more info soon.

Many thanks again - much appreciated.

Vik

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Here they are in 1901 (with George and Bella)

RG13/4764 fol.138 p.10  Hoopergate(?) Farm, Chopwell, Northumberland
Andrew Forster/head/m/50/Hand on Farm/Kirklinton Par, Cumberland
Margaret/wife/m/48/Kirklinton Par, Cumberland
George/son/s/27/Roadman/Blackford Par, Cumberland
Margaret/dau/s/17/Whitfield Northumberland
John/son/s/17/Whitfield Northumberland
Bella/dau/7/Matfen Northumberland
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thats smashing.  Thanks very much.   
This sounds very promising - the names are corresponding so fingers crossed with a little research this should come together. 
I know Andrew is buried at Chopwell and I live fairly close to these areas so a little trip out may be called for.

Many thank again

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
in your first message you said he was born at Longwitton, which is north-west of Morpeth.
But both the census returns show birthplace Whitfield, which is south-west of Haydon Bridge, and some 40 miles from Longwitton.  ???  ???

Also, unless I am having yet another senior moment, you said he was born c.1860 but the censuses suggest 1850  ???  ???

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

No you aren't haveing a "senior" moment (I get blond moments!!!! lol)

You are correct in what you said - to be honest most of what I had was information passed to me by another family member and he'd lost the majority of info on his pc and was guessestimates.    Although I did query the Longwittion bit (am a bit of a map fiend me!)

I won't be taking anoything  for granted until I have the certs in front of me.  The co-incidences are high - the names all match and the cousin did give me indications that the family are from the Carlisle area.  I have found a similar place name to Longwitton around that area.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and time - appreciated