Author Topic: is database complete?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline proctorious

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: is database complete?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 January 07 04:12 GMT (UK) »
i do know when he died....  he was my great grandfather, and although i did not meet him, i know family who did.  the issue is surrounding his birth really, and his lineage.  not any records of his birth certificate, which i am hoping would turn up his parents/mother.  it seems fairly certain that he was illegitimate, but i do not know who his father was, or perhaps even his mother really, since he could have been adopted for all we know.

thanks so much for your help so far!

proctor.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 January 07 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Did he die in Scotland? because their death certificates give parents (assuming the informant knows). If he was brought up by other than his birth parents, I guess they would probably show on the certificate?

I'm not sure of any way to search the records for a William (or a David) with that date of birth - a very interesting puzzle. I don't think there was any formal adoption procedure in those days either - although Scotland is of course covered by different rules than England.

It may be possible to get such a search in Scotland - perhaps you will have to contact the general register office for Scotland
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/leaflet2.html  or visit and search yourself?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 07 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Noting that Dumfries appears to border Cumberland (& I had to go map searching - my UK geography is limited to the counties of my forefathers) there is a registration in Jan quarter 1862 in Cumberland

William McDowell  1862  Mar Qtr Carlisle Cumberland 10b 402

Probably unrelated but not so far away - unfortunately cannot see the date of birth without requesting a certificate - although I gather the local registry offices will sometimes check free of charge.

Trish

Offline proctorious

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 07 06:39 GMT (UK) »
he died in canada...

i am considering sending a search to the gros.  can't go there myself, too far (canada).

proctor.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 07 09:53 GMT (UK) »
If you send a query to the English GRO they will check the certificate & it is only 3 pounds (I think)  if it is the wrong person. Not sure about Scotland.

You are a  little distant for a quick trip - rather like myself

Trish