Author Topic: Melbourne Market Gardeners  (Read 25387 times)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Market Gardeners
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 January 09 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sarah was baptised on 11/12/1796 at St Peter's Church - I know most chldren were baptised as soon as possible but there are the odd few that were not baptised until they were a couple of years old. So her actual dob could be a bit earlier... I'll see if I can find anything.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline ernestly searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 January 09 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again

Curiosity more than anything - but I have just 'found' one of my Smith ancesters on the 1911 census and he is at that time boarding with a family called Sutton, though they have their place of birth as Woodville, which is not a million miles away from Melbourne/Hartshorn etc.  Do you have any rels who came from there and who may have ended up in Shirebrook, Notts?
Smith, Horsley, Dawson, Toon (of Melbourne, Derbys)
Tilson or Tillson, and Winfield (of Melbourne and Castle Donnington area)
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't think I have any family that moved out that way... you never know though - it only takes one!

How did you get on with the 1911 census? - I thought it would work out very expensive with the credit system - I'm waiting for Ancestry to host it... I looked for several people on the initial search and found none... then I looked for my wife's family and found about 7 or 8 men with the same details - It would have cost me loads just to narrow down to the right one.

What was the name of the Sutton from Woodville? - Again by that time you might find one of the branches has moved out a bit - even if it is only 'next door'  ;D

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi earnestly searching

I notice in your names list that you are researching the Dawson's of Melbourne.   My Gt. Grandmother was Sarah Ann Briers (nee Dawson) she was born on 1/4/1875 and lived in Marples Yard, Melbourne.   Her father was William Dawson and his father was George Dawson.    Do they have any connection to you?

Regards, miggens
Ashmore, Kings Newton, Derbyshire. Briers, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Beardsley, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Dawson, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Poxon, Melbourne, Derbyshire.
Bartlett, Evershot, Dorset. Honeybun, Broadwindsor, Dorset. Cleal, Dorset. Wills, Somerset/Dorset.
Loud, Devon/Dorset. Gillett, Dorset. Withers, Berkshire.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Looks like....

Alfred Sutton aged 45 (coal miner) born Linton Derbyshire
Hannah Sutton aged 40 born Woodville
Ernest Sutton aged 15 (butcher's assistant) born Woodville
William (at school) born Woodville
Winifred aged 2, born Shirebrook

I know what you mean, it is expensive, running about 3.50 for a copy of original transcript.  Only bought one 'dud' out of 6 though and that was my fault - assuming my maternal family had always lived at one address when (I now know!) they didn't.  I won't be buying any more now tho, and like you for my lesser searches i will wait until it becomes available on ancestry.
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think we may have a link here.

My paternal line includes my ggg grandmother who was Frances (known as Fanny) Dawson.  In the 1861 census she had her Neice, also Fanny, residing with them - is this one of your relatives also?

Later on, in the 1891 census, my gg grandfather, John Smith, was residing with his cousin William who lived in Marples Yard (though he is classified as a 'boarder').
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miggins

I don't remember if we've already discussed this -

I have quite a complicated little Dawson tree as part of one of my branches - They are not really anything to do with my family - there is a marriage between Arthur Dawson and Clara Jackson but Clara is not in my direct line, just a sideline.

William Dawson's father George who you mention was married 3 times I believe, William's mother was Sarah Joines and Arthur's mother was Mary Langridge.

I don't have much info on them - just what's been passed to me.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 07:08 GMT (UK) »
ernestly searching

the last Sutton in my tree is 1870 - I've only researched back and not come foreward yet so I don't know if these people in the census are connected - I guess there could be a good chance.

Glyn
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 February 09 08:12 GMT (UK) »
HiYall

Some of my Tivey's were also Market Gardeners in Melbourne = Seems a popular profession!.

For anyone that is interested I have transcribed 6 Trade directories on my website - see http://www.tiveyfamilytree.com/  then click on TRADE DIRECTORIES.

My Tivey's also have connections to the families mentioned here.  Selina Horsley was the mother of Edwin Snape who married my rellie Clara Tivey. There are quite a few Jackson connections. A Jane Pass married an Edwin Tivey | there are a few more Pass Family links!  :-* Including a Will of Emma Tivey who mentions her Pass half brothers and sisters see -

http://www.tiveyfamilytree.com/1900EmmaWill.htm

I also have the Monumental Inscriptions for Melbourne Pack Horse Rd Cemetery, If anyone needs a look up - just ask. 8)

Best of Luck :-*
Cheers
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!