Author Topic: Gilmore / Gilmour, Creaney, glenavy  (Read 6668 times)

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmore / Gilmour, Creaney, glenavy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Dixie.....
My Moffetts came from Cookstown where I think the Moffetts of the Balmoral Furniture Co came from originally, I thought there might be a connection. The name in the 1800s was spelt in many ways... Moffitt / Moffet etc. If you want to do some research on the Moffetts of Cookstown you can view all the original Church Registers on www.derryloran.com there are loads of them there. My family came from Cookstown to Larne in the 1890s & there are descendents spread all over country.

Take care

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 October 07 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry.
 You did e-mail me as soon as you got the material. I was just wondering if you had had anymore hits, other than the one you mentioned.
See you have Moffets on your list. My aunt was married to a Moffet. The family owned the Balmoral Furniture Co., until it was bought by, I think, G.U.S., a lot of years ago. Most of that generation are buried in Newtownbreda Cemetery, at the top of the Ormeau Rd., Belfast. Think the family came from the Donegal Road, Belfast.
Regards,
Dixie

Hello Dixie,

I'm interested in the history of Belfast businesses. I'm wondering when Moffett & Sons Ltd., established in 1920 and now trading as Balmoral Furniture ... one of Ireland's largest furniture manufacturers, may have been taken over by GUS. As far as I'm aware the business is still run by members of the Moffett family. Several Moffetts are listed on the board of directors in the 1987 directory.

Christopher.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 October 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Back to the original post:
Trying to trace my wife's relatives from Glenavy, Thomas Gilmore and Mary Creaney, married in the Lisburn Registrar's Office on the 29 October 1866.
My wife's cousin told her that the family lived at Rose Lane Ends, Glenavy.
IGI lists 2 children:
1. Joseph Gilmore born 21 Dec.1867 Co.Antrim
2. Mary Anne Gilmore born 8 Jan.1870 Co.Antrim
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DixieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher / aghadowey.
Thanks for the info aghadowey, I'll get the missus to check it out, as they are her connection and she keeps all the details on them.

Christopher, afraid I don't know the exact date it was taken over. There is still a Moffet connection, as some of the family still are there.

Regards,
Dixie
Antrim.  Campbell, Carson,Dickson, Gilmore, Creaney
Down.    Dickson, Fairley, Irvine, McCune, Carlisle,    
               Wilson, Quinn

Offline gustav

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 March 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, found the name Craney on rootschat. I would be very grateful to know if you had come accross the name Isabella Craney dob 1850 born Co Down. She is my Gt Grandmother and married Daniel Gilbride from Donegal. I just cant find any info on her at all, Look forward to hearing from you with any information

Regards

Izzy
CRANEY, GILBRIDE

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 00:37 GMT (UK) »
hello izzy, could'nt find anything on these two except their marriage.

ISABELLA CRANEY TO DANIEL KILLBRIDE 17-6-1875 @KILLYLEAGH R.C. CHURCH,KILLYLEAGH, DOWNPATRICK, DOWN.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline gustav

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Thanks for that information, very grateful. If you do come accross anything re: Craney or Gilbride I would be very grateful.

Best Regards

Isabel
CRANEY, GILBRIDE