Author Topic: Gleeson - Fedamore  (Read 20449 times)

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gleeson - Fedamore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 March 07 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie,

Thank you for the snippet.  As far as I know my Gleesons never went to Cork.  Margaret died locally pre-1941.  John is buried, as far as I know, in Glasnevin, Dublin.  May died in Co. Clare and I presume she is buried there.  Eugene only left the local area once and that was to go to John's funeral in Dublin!!  My mother lived in south London and is buried in Wimbledon.

I am guessing but I would think that Margaret and Eugene are buried at Fedamore church as are the grandparents.  I am going to e-mail the parish priest shortly to see if he can confirm this.

Thank you once again.

Yours,

Wyndham

Offline g. gleeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 November 08 01:58 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

my name is gleeson and my father is from fedamore.
there was 14 in his family !! one of which still runs the local post office.
his fathers name was william gleeson and his fathers name was also william.
the later was called old bill as far as i know.he or his father built the bridge near glenogra, stone bridge with lovely arches and still stands today.i hope this is of some use to you.i will ask my father more .
i would be gratefull if you could let me know if there are any links here with my side.

regards
gerard

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 November 08 20:16 GMT (UK) »

Good evening, Gerard and welcome to Rootschat.

I am sorry to disappoint you , but as far as I am aware, there is no recent connection between your Gleesons and mine.

I can go forward from the marriage of my grandparents, James Gleeson and Ellen Gleeson (nee Enright) who had 5 children.  Johanna, Margaret, John, Eugene and Mary (aka May). All these births took place at Boolavoorde, Fedamore.  Johanna had 2 children who were born in England and John had 2 from his first marriage and 5 from his second.  The grandparents together with Margaret and Eugene are buried in Fedamore graveyard.  Mary is buried in Broadford, Co Clare.

However if you are able to establish an earlier connection, I would be very interested as I am unable to trace my grandparents' births or any other earlier information.

Offline severus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 November 08 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

Not exactly on topic, however I saw you say in previous post that you would email the parish priest. This is exactly what I want to do as I was baptised in Fedamore and need confirmation of this.

Would you be so kind as you provide me with his email address? I believe it is Fr Michael Cussens?

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 November 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »

Severus

I checked the Limerick Diocese web-site and he is still the parish priest at Fedamore.

His e-mail address:     (*)

(I e-mailed him some time ago with a few questions and his reply unfortunately raised further questions.  I e-mailed again but for some reason he has not yet replied!!)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline severus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 November 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks.

Offline g. gleeson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 November 08 17:59 GMT (UK) »
hi there ,

sorry i have taken so long to reply.
i have spoken with my father and got some information from him .

1. he knew of a Eugene Gleeson that lived in fedamore  at the back of the hurling pitch in a small house. he farmed a few cattle .Eugene 's parents also lived there.

2. my fathers - father was stephen gleeson as was his father , not william as i said earlier. my grandfather stephen played handball and was all ireland winner.he also played alot of hurling for fedamore.

3.my father also tells me that one of his family has done an extensive family tree .the next time i am in limerick i will be able to check off names against those mentioned by others .

4.For the person that has not been to fedamore  since 1953 there is a web site called "google earth", you pay $20 for the year and can zoom in on any place on earth.for example , if you type fedamore , satellites in space focus in on fedamore. by using the scroll up and down on you mouse you can further zoom in , so much so that you can pick out cars and cattle in field and roads.It is a fun  way to see place from a birds eye view.Fedamore has not changed much over the years compared to other places.I hope this could be of some help to you.

best wish to all for now,
gerard

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 November 08 18:03 GMT (UK) »
4.For the person that has not been to fedamore since 1953 there is a web site called "google earth", you pay $20 for the year and can zoom in on any place on earth.for example , if you type fedamore , satellites in space focus in on fedamore. by using the scroll up and down on you mouse you can further zoom in , so much so that you can pick out cars and cattle in field and roads.It is a fun way to see place from a birds eye view.Fedamore has not changed much over the years compared to other places.I hope this could be of some help to you.

There's a free version of Google Earth- see explanation on Wikipedia site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 November 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »

Good evening, Gerard.

Eugene Gleeson used to farm at Boolavoord, Fedamore but due to ill health had to retire and went to live in a small house in the village at the back of the hurling pitch.

His father, James, died in May 1927 and his mother, Ellen, in 1932.

I am very interested in the family tree you refer to as will be Maresa who has also posted on this topic.

Funny enough I have looked at Fedamore on Google a number of times.

Keep in touch.