Author Topic: Could these photos match with this medal Card?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Could these photos match with this medal Card?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

I have a feeling that the first picture is of a group possibly in the Royal Horse Artillery as the cap badge appears to be oval in shape. This oval badge (if indeed it turns out to be the RHA) was used during the reign of George VI which was from 1936 which then takes my estimate for the date a bit more towards the late thirties rather than the early thirties as I first thought. However as the badge's are not that clear this is pure guess work on my part, could you get a better higher res picture of one of the badges do you think? That way someone should be able to say one way or the other which regiment it could be.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Old Rowley for that information.

This really is confusing. My grandfather would not be in the army that late on and his son whilst in the Desert Rats during WW2 was not in the forces prior to the outbreak of those hostilities.

I did try and get a better crop of the badge without any success last night but I will persevere and maybe my computer skills will improve  ;D
Thank you again for all your help

Best wishes
Jackie
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 January 07 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Like I said Jackie it is purely a guess on my part about the badge being that of the RHA and I could be totally wrong on it being so, with abetter close up of the cap badge someone maybe able to say what one it is.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 07 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have tried to get a close up of the hat badges. Im afraid not too good but the best I can do

This one is from the Group photo

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 January 07 01:03 GMT (UK) »
And this one of the 2 brothers

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 January 07 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Manmark and Old Rowley for the really interesting information.  Oops sorry I didnt realise the medal card couldnt be posted on here.

i'd love to answer this question but some moderator seems to be going doolally about posting MICs that have been purchased and are in the public domain. 

see the great war forum (probably one of the biggest forums on the web, certainly the forum regarding WW1, now numbering 14,000 members) and the number of MICs posted daily...any problems with TNA? none

see the Long long Trail, my site and so many other sites that post MICs and instructions on how to interpret them, then look back on ALL the threads on THIS board with MICs posted

you might as well delete the whole armed forces board and get rid of the researchers who are actively working to help people and make this section the most active and productive section of the rootschat site

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 January 07 01:36 GMT (UK) »

and by the way

The National Archives doesn't even have the MICs anymore

they only have the copies

the WFA have the originals

chris
WFA 14827

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 January 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
morning Jackie,

Thanks for reposting the two badges, the images are better than before and before I go and take my self off to stand in a corner for misleading you about my first thought's re the RHA cap badge I can now say that the first one is of the Royal Signals. This being an oval shape with the lettering "Royal Corps of Signals" running around the outside and is surmounted with a crown. in the middle of this is the figure of Mercury holding a caduceus (a winged staff) in his arm. This style of badge was worn by the Royal Signals between 1920 and 1947. I have been looking for an example to show you so that you can compare but every one that I have seen on the web has been of the modern one, maybe dortmund or one of the others can put one up for you.

The other one, taken from the picture of the two brothers, is, in my mind, as I said before, the old county regiment, The Suffolk Regiment. This is of a castle and key set in the centre of a circle with the motto "Montis Insiginia Calpe" (The Arms of Gibraltar) running around it. On either side of the circle is an oak wreath which, at the top, has a crown and at the bottom as the legend "The Suffolk Regt" set in a scroll. For a better idea of what it looks like go to http://www.suffolkregiment.org

hope that this time it has helped, oft to me corner now ;D

old rowley

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 January 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
No, thank you very much Old Rowley.  The 2 photos were in a mixed bag I inherited on the death of my aunt last year.  With these clues I may well be able to piece together who the people are in the photographs

Thank you so much again for all your assistance

Best wishes
Jackie ;D