Author Topic: This begs a GOOD question??  (Read 11453 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: This begs a GOOD question??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 07 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Tees,

I can't make out the words in the first one but the first word in the second one is Cusloura which is in Co. Cork
I agree with Prue on the first word.

Chris

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 07 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Chris that Cusloura is the first word in the second entry.  Can't read the second word though.

Prue

Offline Frazer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 07 06:21 GMT (UK) »
What about Rahalisk for the second word in the second entry.

Agree with Chris and Prue re the other words.

All the above are in Macroom in Co. Cork.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 07 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Rahalisk looks right to me, Frazer

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:02 GMT (UK) »
It was common practice for babies to be baptised straight away if there was a maternal or child health problem involved.

Offline Frazer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Tees,
I wonder would your ancestor have lived in the Ballingeary/Inchigeela area of Co. Cork.  It is a Gaeltacht area, not far from the Cork base of the Black'n'Tans in Macroom.   

There is an excellent website for the area and if you read through it you will see that for a period in the 19th Century the priest celebrated Mass in a house every second Sunday.  My memory fails me now, but I think there could have been mention of the house having been burned down during the War of Independence. 

Here's the address of the website which even includes details of a census carried out in the 19th century.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sosul/index.html

Good luck with your search.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue M, Christopher, Frazer and Billejo

Thank you for your contributions to this post. I am delighted that I have a bit of help with reading the birthplaces!

Thank you so much for taking time to decipher bad handwriting for me. I find the website Prue M had posted here to be very useful.

Frazer--I honestly do not know much about my Co Cork ancestors. If I recalled from my Irish History class, Irish was widely spoken in Ireland up to 1880s or 1890s depending on where you were (the numbers had progressively decreased every decade from 1840s onwards) due to emigration and famine. By 1890s, the number of Irish speakers were no longer in the "large numbers."

My mum's grandparents did not teach Irish to their children or to her and her cousins. They only spoke Irish to each other whenever they wanted to converse "secretly."

However, thank you for the interesting snippets you found on Macroom and Gaelacht areas in Cork. Will have a good look at the website.

I only realised that I had forgotten to mention my great-granny's name--her name was Margaret Lehane (sometimes was known as Mary). Her parents were John Lehane & Johanna Quile/Quill/Woods. Woods is an Anglicised form of Irish word Coill (something like that) which sounds like Quile/Quill in English. This was stated in two separate certificates I had.

I would love to find out when my great granny was born and where. It seems very unlikely according to the replies I got.

I sincerely welcome any assistance here. Perhaps it would be most helpful if someone could have a peek at the church records at the Family History Centre in Cork? I understand that they had computerised entries (they could not find my great-granny or simply want me to cough up more money so they can continue with searching).

Any suggestion or advice?? Parish priest is out of the question--I had no actual help from him even his superiors tried to help me out by prodding him. (I think the superiors may had made things worse.)

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I think I have found her!!
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 February 07 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi All Who Had Replied to this Post,

I think I had found her birth/baptism record?? this time--on the FamilySearch.Org, she was listed as a Margaret Lyhan born to the parents-John Lyhan and Johanna Quill (Lyhan).

Birth date is pretty close to what my great-granny had always stated on some documents. And her place of birth is spot on from somewhere in the family lores. The parentage was correct.

There are two entries: one was submitted by someone after 1991 but no further information?? How to find the ancestral file on her? Could not find it.

Another was listed in the batch number 1017845--what is this???

I am asking here--what kind of record am I going to expect this time?

Hope I have a solid lead this time.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 March 07 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi All!

Good news is that I got the right Margaret Lehane birth entry this time!!

Irish GRO indeed had made a tidy profit off me.  ;D

Surprised that the entry on the IGI was correct without any mention that it was extracted from the Irish GRO birth entries.

However, I would need your wee help with reading some entries as it was badly written!  ::)

Give me a bit of time in scanning them first. OK?  :)

Kind regards,

Tees the Happy