Author Topic: Nearest hospital to Strickland Street/Elswick Road?  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Nearest hospital to Strickland Street/Elswick Road?
« on: Sunday 28 January 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could anybody tell me which hospital was the closest to Strickland Street/Elswick Road around 1928-45?  And also, does anyone know if medical records of the hospital might still be around, or destroyed?

I'm trying to find something more about my grandfather Thomas Forde, who was an engineer at Vickers Armstrong for many years.  He suffered ill health through injuries from WW1 (shrapnel in the head, gassing, digits missing)  I would think at some time he would have required medical attention for this.  He used morphine for the pain for the last years of his life.

I know it would be near impossible to find out who was his GP, and his doctors records will definitely have been destroyed, but maybe the hospital records will have survived.

Thank you

Rosemary

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Nearest hospital to Strickland Street/Elswick Road?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 07 22:58 GMT (UK) »
  Roz, it was probably the General Hospital that your Grandfather attended as during both world wars the Military Authorities took over the majority of beds for the wounded, so it's very probable that  the hospital (as well as the Military) would have some records.  I can't remember off hand the telphone no of the General, sorry!  Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 07 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dolly

I think he would have been hospitalised near Norfolk, or London after his injuries.  He married (supposedly) my grandmother in London in 1919, and she was born and living in Norfolk.  I know that Lynford Hall was used as a hospital during WW1, and have looked into this.

I should have explained myself better.  They eventually settled in Newcastle, after a short time in Glasgow.  I wondered if he had ongoing health problems after his initial injuries, and needed hospital treatment.

I will try the General, failing that, I'll try Tyneside Archives.  Thank you so much for your help

Rosemary

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 07 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Rosemary

The records of the Newcastle upon Tyne General Hospital are kept at TWAS in Newcastle, see

http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/userguides/09medicine.htm#N

"Newcastle General Hospital (formerly the Union Workhouse Infirmary and later known as Wingrove Hospital):
Administrative records 1832-1977 including Workhouse Committee minutes 1838-1840; Hospital Committee minutes 1908-1910, 1917-1930; Medical Superintendent's reports 1921-1935; admissions registers 1947-1967; deaths registers 1918-1960; deeds 1835-1901 etc refs HO/NGH, MD/NC/99/15-19 "

I was born in that hospital and lived a stones throw away for 23 years, it was always known as the Gen.

Gen List Lass
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 07 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass

Is the Wingrove Hospital the same as the General that is there now?  I've passed by it lots of times.  I don't know if I would find anything about him in that list.  Maybe the deaths register as he died in 1945, but I already have his death certificate.

I'm hoping to visit the Discovery Museum soon, and do a trip to the cemetery while I'm there.  I love what they've done to the quayside, we were there on New Years Eve in the wind and rain.  We even walked over the Millenium bridge, before noticing the red light was on.  It did sway a bit!!

Rosemary

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Wingrove Hospital = Newcastle General hospital. The Gen is on the corner of the West Road and Wingrove road.

Discovery Centre = TWAS =Tyne and Wear Archives Service, address Blandford Street

Be careful in Elswick cemetary!!!!!!!!

Gen List Lass
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 08:18 GMT (UK) »
That sounds intriguing!!   ???

Do you mean be careful of the living, or is it a bit spooky?

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 03:50 GMT (UK) »
The dead wont harm you in there............ but lady with camera might be "intriguing" to the other inhabitants!

Gen List Lass

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks for that. :)

I wouldn't be taking photos, it's more an emotional visit for my mam.  I wouldn't spoil it for her by taking photos.  We'll probably take flowers with us.

Rosemary