Author Topic: Help with place name  (Read 7107 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Help with place name
« on: Monday 29 January 07 18:10 GMT (UK) »
 I'd be grateful if anyone can help me with a place name.

I've printed off an OPR for Marnoch and it states that Alexander Milne and Isabel Mackie were in 'Telepeg' or 'Telepass' - I think that's what it says, I'm probably way wide of the mark!   ???  I'm pretty sure it begins with a 'T'!!

I can't find it on the map and wondered if anyone had local knowledge and might be able to enlighten me. If not, I'll try and scan the relevant bit and post it so someone might be able to make some sense of it.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with place name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 07 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Jill,

Hopefully someone with local knowledge will recognise it but in the meantime, Genuki has a list of

placenames for Marnoch here http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Marnoch/locations.html

Nothing jumps out immediately but it's worth a look.

A scan would be a good idea  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 07 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Elaine.

I hope I'm attaching a scan!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
It's very difficult isn't it? I enlarged it and stared at it for ages but I can only get T or F then ? L ? F?F?

The"L" looks the same as in Isobel and Milne.

The first "F" looks the same as it does for Reidford on the top line. The letter after F could be O or A. .

The letter after the O or A looks very much like the previous F.

Sorry that I can't help more..time for the experts I think  :)

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

bervonian

« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
It's a tough one Jill.  You can find a map of Marnoch at www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk.  Click on Get-a-Map and enter Marnoch.
You can enlarge it in stages until you see the farms round about.
The only problem is that unless you have some idea of what the name could be it would be a pretty unprofitable exercise.

Bervonian. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 07 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I've spent about half an hour going around an OS map on line. I think I might have found a poss at NJ 705 515 -

Tillyfar to the east of Forglen but not sure if it's in Marnoch parish - I'm getting map drunk!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
That's really good of you, Gadget.

I've been doing the same but no luck. I can't even find your Forglen on the OS map but it sounds like a possible.

I'll keep looking!

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to the east of Aberchirder. I'll see if I can get it up on multimap and put the link. OS don't allow that as far as I can see  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 07 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Here it is, I hope:

http://tinyurl.com/yuywyf

Gadget