Author Topic: Robert CARTER weds Jessie Anderson 06-06-1865 in Girthon - was he a Sassenach?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
My very first posting in Kirkcudbrightshire, and I was wondering whether anyone with access to the original marriage records for Girthon could tell me more details of the 6th June 1865 marriage between Robert CARTER and Jessie ANDERSON (according to the IGI).  If it's the marriage I'm looking for, it ought to say he was from London.  If he was a local lad/man, then I'm completely barking up the wrong tree!
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert CARTER weds Jessie Anderson 06-06-1865 in Girthon - was he a Sassenach?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
You can view the certificate at ScotlandsPeople (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/), the pay-per-view site. It will tell you both their names, ages, usual residences and parents. If your Robert was living in the area, I think that would be his res. so the parents could only confirm it.  :)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert CARTER weds Jessie Anderson 06-06-1865 in Girthon - was he a Sassenach?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Hume,
I'll see whether I've got any credit left on there - not sure whether it runs out like on other money-absorbing sites...
keith

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I'll see whether I've got any credit left on there - not sure whether it runs out like on other money-absorbing sites...

It certainly does with me.  ;D They have extended the time you have to use the credits by so you might be lucky!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 07 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I've now eliminated the 6th June 1865 Marriage in Girthon, as this Robert CARTER was a local man.  But, rather a strange coincidence this, I found another IGI marriage for exactly the same day - 6th June 1865 - for another Robert CARTER and a Janet BAIRD.  And Eureka!  It's the right Robert.  Checked both entries on ScotlandsPeople, and now I'll turn my attention from Kirkcudbrightshire to Ayrshire, if that's O.K...(N.B. Don't know why Jessie (1861 Census) became Janet on her wedding day.  Perhaps she used another of her forenames.)
keith

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 07 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Jessie, Jean, Jane ...a rose by any other name, even Janet, would smell as sweet  :) I have found my people have variously been 'documented' by all these names, so it is worth doing searches using all of the alternatives.

Happy plucking
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Scatza,
Thanks for this!  I've already spread the search quite a bit wider now, though I've just been informed on another thread that the piece of 1891 Census I was hoping to find Jessie/Janet/Jean/Jane CARTER on may well be irretrievably lost...
keith