Author Topic: Samuel Briscoe - St Andrews Parish, Tarvin,  (Read 2492 times)

Offline mintymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel Briscoe - St Andrews Parish, Tarvin,
« on: Tuesday 30 January 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

If anyone has access to the St Andrews Parish Church records, Tarvin, I am trying to locate parents of Samuel Briscoe.  The information i have is:

Samuel Briscoe born June 20 1761 Kelsall Hall, Chester
                         christened July 5th 1761 St Andrews Parish Church
                         died July 1st 1829 Kelsall, Cheshire
                         buried July 1829 St Andrews Parish Church

Thanking you

Min ;)

AK

Re: Samuel Briscoe - St Andrews Parish, Tarvin,
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Min,

Have been looking at the Bishops' Transcripts this morning as the Parish Register for St Andrews, Tarvin was out with another at the RO.

Samuel Briscoe was baptised 05/07/1761, son of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.

I looked for other Briscoe names around this time and found the following:

Baptised 17/11/1759 Margaret daughter of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.

Burial 04/11/175? Calap Briscoe of Oscroft.

Baptised 10/07/175? .......son of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret. The christian name is missing on the film.

Baptised 06/01/1750 Mary daughter of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.

Baptised 22/06/1754/5?? Name missing, daughter of William Briscoe of Kelsall and Mary.

Baptised 22/10/1757 (could be 1759) Martha daughter of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.

The BTs are very poor at times and the dates and names are not shown in these years.

Marrriage 17/07/17?? Edward Briscoe and Margaret Arrowsmith both of this parish by ........?

Baptised 20/04/17?? Samuel, son of Calap Briscoe of Tarvin and Elizabeth.

I don't mind having another look and perhaps at the Prs this time. Let me know in which direction you want me to look.

There is a very good website on Kelsall and I wonder if you have seen this. Will give you the link if not. We could even be related as I have Pixton and Ackerley ancestors from Kelsall!

AK

Baptised

AK

« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Just to mention that there are a number of Briscoe names in the 1841 census in Tarvin, Kelsall and Plemonstall which is very close to this area.

Also, there was a reference to a Henry Briscoe, church warden in the BTs.

AK

Offline mintymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 February 07 12:40 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Many thanks....

I really appreciate any trouble that you havegone to to find this info... and would be happy in any Briscoe relation in the area.

Regards

Min (see personal msg)

AK

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 07 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Min,

I have actually found an Ackerley/ Briscoe "link" albeit something of an embarassing one! It involves a court case in 1792, an indictment of a William Ackerley in Chester Quarter Sessions for entering and thieving property of Edward Briscoe!

I will send the actual transcript of the case to you in a future post.

This William Ackerley is not one of mine as far as I know!

AK

Offline mintymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 07 18:11 GMT (UK) »
 :o

Oh dear!

I'm glad to hear this time it isn't connected.......
Would love to see the transcript tho  ;)

I have been putting all the Briscoe's I have together today.. Let me know if your interested in a copy of them all.   Thanks to the link you gave me the other day I have managed to go much further back and across. 

Regards

Min

AK

« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 February 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Min,

The details from Chester Quarter Sessions in 1792 were obtained from the Chester Record Office and I wrote:

Indictment, William Ackerley, late of Kelsall in the county of Clotton, labourer, and Mary his wife for forceable entry into a close of land and a barn and shippon in Kelsall in the possession of one Edward Briscoe and for depriving the said Edward Briscoe out of the possession.....

I don't think he is one of mine as my gt gt gt grandfather was baptised in Tattenhall in 1797. He was William Ackerley but it rules him out! I am trying to find the origins of his mother, Ann Ackerley as he was illegitimate and so far cannot find anything on her. Could the William Ackerley from Kelsall be her father, I wonder?

AK (more by personal message)

AK

« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 07 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Have been looking at the Tarvin PRs this time and found these:

Baptised 06/01/1756 Mary daughter of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.
Baptised 10/07/1757 Edward son of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.
    ''          05/08/1759 Margaret daughter of Edward Briscoe of Kelsall and Margaret.
Baptised 24/04/1763 Thomas son of Edward Briscoe late of Kelsall deceased and Margaret his widdoe.

Could not see a burial for Edward.

AK

Offline mintymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 07 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi AK

Thanks for the more recent baptisms    :D

I noticed your Ackerley family on Ancestry personal trees, with the Tattenhall link.   There is alot about the more recent Ackerley family, but nothing seen yet on the William elder you mentioned. 

Regards

Min