Author Topic: Thomas Kent & Family Chatham 1881  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kent & Family Chatham 1881
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes this a real Possibilty, Douglas is the key, and notice John is aged 1 so were was he born? , he must have lied about his age.
the funny thing is I have had all the John Robson birth Regs checked from 1837-1841 with parents John Robson and Eleanor in Northumberland and Durham and he is not there.

Regards
Allan

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Just got this info re 1851 census Sunderland.

Birth of Margaret Robson 14 Oct 1841 at Hetton-Le-Hole
parents John Robson Joiner and Eleanor Urwin, also birth of Armstrong Urwin Robson Sept 1843 parents same as Margaret both births Registered,
No sign of John's Birth Reg, there is something odd here was he adopted into the family as a baby?.

Regards
Allan

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't think he was adopted into the family, I think the reality is much more down to earth than that.  Civil registration didn't start until 1837 and the previous child, Douglas would have been before that time.  It often happened that children during the next ten or so years were missed off until people got used to the new regulations and also because it was going to cost them money to comply. 

If there was a choice between feeding the family and registering a baby, which do you think the money was spent on?

Could this be a possibility for Douglas's christening?

28 October 1835  Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Robson and Eleanor

Could this give a clue as to where they lived before moving to Hetton?

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The BVRI has these christenings for John Robson -

Christened 25 June 1836 All Saints Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland parents John Robson and Eleanor
Christened 18 March 1840 Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland parents John Parkinson Robson and Eleanor
Robert Robson christened 26 January 1828 Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland parents John Robson and Eleanor
Douglas Robson christened 28 October 1835 All Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Robson and Eleanor
Thomas Angus Robson christened 17 April 1836 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Parkinson Robson and Eleanor
There is also George 16 February 1838, Harriet 13 June 1847, and Joseph 13 June 1852 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Parkinson Robson and Eleanor
William 22 February 1840 All Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Robson and Eleanor
Elizabeth 10 December  1854 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne parents John Parkinson Robson and Eleanor

That's quite a jumble but was trying to figure out whether the John Parkinson Robson was yours or not, but I would believe that after Douglas, they moved and the "Parkinson" lot aren't yours.  The William is possibly one of yours, who may have died young, although the different church makes me think twice about him.

If we assume that Robert is their oldest child, making Eleanor about 17 at the time of his birth, then unfortunately the BVRI doesn't list a marriage for them, sorry.

There is one on the IGI for John Robson and Ellen Caulkin 14 June 1828   Saint Andrew, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland but in view of the Armstrong URWIN that you found I think you are definitely looking for a Robson-Urwin marriage.

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Once again Thanks for your help. last night I found the Marriage of John Robson to Eleanor Urwin 12th Nov 1826 at Lamesley, you are right about the baptisms of Robert and Douglas they are definitely mine, the John Parkinson Robson is not mine as he was still alive in 1881 and my John died in 1865.

the John Robson born 1836 is an odd one and also William bap feb 1840
the problem with these is John's Baptism is too near Douglas's Baptism.
This was a family that although the baptised there children at All Saints they came from Winlaton in Co Durham.
I also got this info last night which surprised me
I found the baptism of Armstrong Urwin Robson born 1843, he was baptised 8th July 1846 at St Nicholas Hetton-le-Hole, but there is no sign of baptisms for my John Robson or his sister Margaret from 1840-1850 at this church, were they baptised somewhere else or not baptised at all.
very odd.

Regards
Allan

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
They do seem to have moved about a little bit so certainly may well have been baptised somewhere else and not all the baptisms are available to check online.

The alternative is of course that cost might have come into it, if there was a shortage of money it might have been one of the things that had to be foregone.

Good luck with finding them.

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help, if I find him I will let you know.

Regards
Allan

Offline Steward till I die!

• RootsChat Extra
  • Olive Roper aka Miss Viola Hamilton 1911
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allan

Have just noticed your thread and thought a bit of local knowledge may be of interest to you with regards to the census transcripts.

On the 1871 there is an address noted for Gillingham as Brillon St.  There was a Britton Farm in Gillingham which has long since gone but left behind Britton Farm St and also the Britton Farm pub.

On the 1891 the birthplace mentioned as "near Brampton" has a couple of possibilities, Old Brompton is part of Chatham near the Dockyard. The more likely option is the enumerator thought he heard "near Brampton" whereas they actually said "New Brompton".  The original village of Gillingham (Jillyingham Water) was down near the river and as the Dockyard expanded homes were needed for the labourers.  House building spread out from Old Brompton to fit this need and New Brompton was born.  Eventually the house building from New Brompton met up with the village of Gillingham and the whole lot became one using the Gillingham name.

The pronunciation of Gillingham (Jillingham) Kent being different to the Gillingham in Dorset and Gillingham in Norfolk.  Jillyingham Water is mentioned in old text and this is likely to be the reason for the way we say it.

If there is anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to ask me?

Good luck with your research

Tina  ;)
John Edward STEWARD, John William STEWARD, Elizabeth GOSBEE.<br />Jeffries REYNOLDS, REYNOLDS of Outwood and Lingfield, Daisy WALKER.<br />Henry Griffith ROPER (Henry GRIFFITH,Henry GRIFFITHS)<br />Jane Harriett BALDOCK.<br />CHOULES (WIL and Fulham)<br />GALBRAITH Duns and Hammersmith (WEEDON)<br />BENSON and BETT (Hamilton)<br />PEDLEY, BRIGHT,HOOPER (Fulham)
STEWARD (Pimlico,Westminster,St Geo H Sq,Plymouth)

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 01 March 07 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tina
Thanks for reply, your information is help, I would like to locate members of this family as I am certain there are modern day Relatives out there, I know one the children Thomas Douglas Robson Kent married Annie Saville  and the had as far as I can see 2 Daughters Winifred and Beatice.

Regards
Allan