Author Topic: Gypsy Caravan  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Alegnajay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gypsy Caravan
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 When I was a child my great uncle had a gypsy caravan.  Although he was married with a family, he lived in the caravan.  I never thought much about it.  About 5 years ago I met up with one of his sons who gave me quite a lot of background history to it.  So much so that I decided to look into the genealogy records and try to trace where the link was with gypsies.  This is what I found.  My ggreatgrandfather and his father were 'higglers' which I discovered was a name for a pedlar.  This was from my ggreatgrandfather's marriage certificate dated 1/07/1852.  Subsequently he did various jobs including coal carrier and fruiterer.  I haven't researched any further back but it appears from what I have done that they didn't at that stage live in the caravan.  I will post a photo of the caravan at a later date.
Angela

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
hi Angela  :)

You're really lucky to have traveller/gypsy links within your family's living memory. 

So much of the history of traveller families is lost, simply because these families led lives 'outside' the usual law of the land (ie regarding registering BMDs) and also regarding census registrations (these families were often living in fields, etc outside of villages, and often didn't give their names, or their children's names).

Good luck with your family search - post as much as poss, I'm sure someone can help.

best wishes

Clara  :)

Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Angela

I shall look forward to seeing the photograph of your ancestor's caravan - how exciting!

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alegnajay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
hi girls,
Thanks for your replies.  I shall post a picture of the caravan as soon as i get it from my cousin.  It was painted all red. The name of the Hagglers were John and James Turner. Unfortunately a very common name.  They lived in a small village called Tean in Staffordshire.   I will definately have to do some more research.
Angela

Offline Alegnajay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 07 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't manage to post the photo of the caravan.  It was in the wrong version.  So hopefully this time i will be successful.  I have just e-mailed my cousin to see if she has a better photo.
Angela

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

That's lovely and how wonderful to have some "proof" of your heritage :)

Casalguidi

Offline Alegnajay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 07 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Here is the photo promised of the caravan. I'm not sure how old it is but my ancestors who were Higglers (pedlars) must have used it or I don't see how it could have been in the family.  This is my Nan's brother, my greatuncle Ted.
Angela

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 January 07 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

A lovely photograph!

I've reduced the size a little and turned it round so it's easier for us all to view.

Casalguidi :)

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 January 07 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't resist trying to tint it
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished