Author Topic: Request: look out for a death 1892 -1901 Colvend:RESOLVED  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Request: look out for a death 1892 -1901 Colvend:RESOLVED
« on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all Kirkcudbrightshire RC members.

It is my belief that RC members like a challenge so here goes.

In trying to trace where a great aunt may be for the 1901 census - having not found her with her parents - I wondered if she may be with her grandparents and started searching for them.  This is where my problem began.  I tried and tried to find the family - who I had traced to 1891 at Colvend for 1901 going on the head of the household as the name search.  Unfortunately I was not successful and assumed that I would dismiss him by finding his death.  Wrong.  I could not.  I eventually traced who could be his widow (if that is the status she had for 1901) with the correct age and working as a nurse maid in the same hamlet as her oldest daughter -my great grandmother.  Coincidently the 'widow's' younger daughter was living with my ggrandmother also as a nurse maid.  I could find other siblings of about the same age living in the Dalbeattie area with (probably) one of the eldest brothers as the head of the household.

I traced the younger daughter to her marriage in 1907 in Patrick Lanark.  It stated that her father was dead so knew that my man was deceased by then.  I traced a son's marriage to Colvend in 1892 - the year after the last trace of this man and his certificate did not mention his father as deceased - however the bride's father is mentioned as deceased and I assume that my man was still alive.

Using the SP site I tried every combination of spelling for the name - Daniel Kirkland born circa 1839 for the periods 1891 - 1956 in all areas and all ages.  I tried Daniel Kir*, Daniel Ki*, Da* Kirkland without any success and think I may have found his son Daniel (in the past the SP site have catalogued the surname Blacklock as Martin for a marriage which I found on the groom's distinctive surname!).  In a hope that this was the case again I contacted SP who answered telling me they could not help without charging me for a private search.  I then contacted the GROS and explained the situation.  They tell me also that they cannot help and suggest that DK may have either died in England or been killed in the Boer War - the latter of which I dismiss as the man was a 52 year old farmer in 1891 with a pack of kids and never had a soldier's career.  I cannot see why a busy farmer would leave his farm to go to England - there is a possibility though that he may have been looking for work.

It may be that he deserted his family and lived elsewhere but assume that he would have to have died under his proper name. I have to assume then that somewhere along the line between 1892 and 1901 he has died and his registration information is somehow lost to the usual search engine fits.

If anyone has used SP for deaths in the Colvend area for 1892 - 1901 would they kindly look to see if they can find Daniel Kirkland born circa 1839 - farmer - husband of Mary Lindsay lurking on the same page - it's a long shot but worth it.

The family were at Upper Barnbarroch Colvend for 1891 and another family occupied the farm by 1901 so knew that they were not there by then.

Yours J.A.

P.S. I found his 'death' in 1881 on the Ancestry One World Tree site (he was definitely alive for the 1891 census)  - but let's not go there !!!!

If that contributor is reading this then please let me know who you are.

Off to search for him in England now.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request: look out for a death 1892 -1901 Colvend
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.A.

Have you searched for a death in England? He could have travelled for various reasons - business, visiting relatives, etc. Mine (also farmers) certainly popped across the border and back.

I've found a death of a person of the correct age (aged 55) registered Prescot, Lancashire in 1895 - March q, vol 8b, page 656.

He might not be yours but it is worth considering.

Regards

Gadget

added - there is no Daniel Kirkland in that area on the 1891 census. i think this death is a strong possibility
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Yup. I've seen that already - bit of a long way down the country though from south west Scotland.  I've also tried looking on the 1901 census and find a DK as a border around about that area (I think) who was born in Scotland.
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:20 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors travelled from Kirkcudbright to Liverpool and back quite often. There was a regular boat service. I have the timetables somewhere. Also trains, etc. It's not far at all. Quite a lot of my collateral ancestors moved to Liverpool for various reasons. I think you have to consider it if he's not in KKD on the 1901 and his wife is down as a widow.

I have the early MIs for the area. I'll check those. You could contact D&G FHS. They have masses of unpublished records/sources - obits, etc. Also, D&G Council would have the lair books for that time.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Have spent many an hour in the D&G at Dumfries and am a member of theirs - go up there and B&B whilst I look around the local sights - looks as if there's another trip on the cards.
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:37 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth having a look in their obituaries collection. I found my big lead in their journal about 3 years back. They'd reprinted a death notice from the 1850s - it was my 3 x great grandfather  :)

The Erskine in Dumfries is also pretty good, as you'll no doubt know.

Gadget

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Nope to The Erskine - never heard of it - what is it about?  And yep - could do with looking at their obituaries - but how?
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm being stupid  :-[ I meant the Ewart ! To much sorting out Glasgow and the Erskine Bridge I think!

If you're a member of D&G FHS, you could try phoning them or e-mailing. They're very helpful.

Gadget

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Would still like RC members who use SP in Kirkcudbrightshire to look - to rule this out.  Can then consider alternatives
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo