Author Topic: John Byrne of Boleybeg  (Read 3256 times)

Offline delacyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Byrne of Boleybeg
« on: Thursday 01 February 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to prove the link between Charles Byrne of Kilmacar, born 1692 and married to Margaret Colclough (son of Sir Gregory Byrne and Alice Fleming) and one of his sons John Byrne, who married Elizabeth Maher and lived in Boleybeg and had several children baptised at Ballinakill, including Dudley Edward Byrne born in 1799. Most records insist all Charle's children died without issue though we believe this is incorrect but have no proof that John Byrne is indeed the son of Charles. I have no date of birth or death for John or Elizabeth but John was probably born around 1750. Any help is most appreciated and I can reciprocate with an extensive family tree for the Byrne descendants of Sir Gregory from his second marriage.
Byrne, Campion, Butler, Fitzpatrick,

Offline jud72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Byrne of Boleybeg
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching the Byrnes of Kilmagar, Co. Kilkenny who were also descended from Gregory Byrne and Alice Fleming, probably through their fourth son, Christopher. However, Gregory and Alice are said to have had 7 sons, and although family stories and traditions point to a definite link to Gregory, I have not yet established exactly how they are linked.

The onlyreference I have come across regarding John Byrne, son of Charles, was in O'Tooles genealogy of the Byrnes, in which he simply states that he died in Germany unmarried. However, I believe that Margaret Colclough's father was called Dudley, so you could well be right. What other information do you have about this John of Boleybeg? I will certainly let you know if I come across anything about him.

Offline delacyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Byrne of Boleybeg
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
From Sir Gregory Byrne's 2nd marriage to Alice Fleming I was only aware of 2 sons, Charles who married Margaret Colclough and Henry who married Catherine Eustice. Charles children were John, Dudley Colclough, Gregory (d 1742), James (d 1774) Margaret, Alice, Frances and Mary Ann.

Children of John Byrne and Elizabeth Maher are Dudley Edward (b1799, d 1879), John, (b1801), Margaret (b 1804), Anne (b 1795), Elizabeth (b 1797), Edward (b 1789 d 1851), Daniel b? died 1837 murdered returning from Thurles) All children except Daniel have their baptisms recorded in Ballynakill parish.
Byrne, Campion, Butler, Fitzpatrick,