Author Topic: marriage certificate of CAWKWELL and ROBINSON  (Read 696 times)

Offline hands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage certificate of CAWKWELL and ROBINSON
« on: Friday 02 February 07 19:36 GMT (UK) »
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP: IVE HIT A BRICK WALL!
I have a marrage certificate which gives the following details:
date: 26 July 1841; Doncaster parish church, county of York:
Thomas CAWKWELL, widower, occupation painter, resides Fishergate, father Thomas CAWKWELL, mariner;
marries:
Jane ROBINSON, spinster, resides Fishergate, father William ROBINSON, joiner.
where their age should be written, both only have "of full age" written in this box- very helpful! For some reason, even though a census had only just been taken, I cant find ANY of them on the 1841 census!
even on the 1851 census, I can only find Jane- and it by no means definitely the right Jane- she is shown as Jane CAWKWELL married to a Bartholemew Steinfield, residing in Sheffield. The only reason I think this is the right Jane is because I know she had a daughter name Sarah, born 1842.
(I have Sarah's marriage birth certificate which shows her parents to be Thomas and Jane, born Gainsborough, Linc's)
PLEASE HELP!
WARW: Hands, Wilkinson, Copage, Serle, Doughty
YORKS: Bagshaw
LINCS: Cawkwell
NANTS: York
KENT: Brigden, Noakes, Budds, Partridge, Staples
BUCKS: Green
SURR: Penfold
LEIC: Wells, Green
STAF: Dawson, Brain, Malbon
CORN: Tong, Gilbert

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: marriage certificate of CAWKWELL and ROBINSON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 February 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
hands,

These are just guesses.

The 1851 census you mentioned says that Jane was born about 1823 in Ferry, Lincolnshire.

There is a Jane Robinson, age 15, in Alford, Lincolnshire, whose father, William Robinson, 55, is a cooper.  Could her age have been rounded down a bit?

I don't know if a cooper (maker of barrels?) could also be a joiner (carpenter?).

The LDS has a Jane Robinson, baptized on 14 March 1826 in Alford, daughter of William and Elizabeth Robinson.  That's probably the girl in 1841 but it doesn't tell us if she's the right one.  Maybe if you look for them in 1851 that might rule them out.  (I've got to go out or I'd look for them.)

There's a Jane Robinson, 22, born outside of county, in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.

Have you searched for her as Janet and Jennie as well?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: marriage certificate of CAWKWELL and ROBINSON
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 February 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
hands,

This doesn't help with 1841; I'm just looking for clues that might help.

I see on FreeBMD that Sarah Cawkwell was born in Gainsborough Registration District and it looks like son Thomas was, too.

There is a death for a Thomas Cawkwell in Gainsborough in July - September 1849 in Gainsborough Registration District.  I wonder if this was Jane's husband?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters