Author Topic: Link: German headstones in Australia  (Read 56595 times)

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
Re: German headstones in Australia
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 07 08:13 GMT (UK) »
they did ventually include more smaller cemeteries further away and all the major cemeteries in brisbane.

i sent an e/mail to an address i was given but the e/mail bounced with the message 'mail box full'

len

Brauer, Eggersdorff, Sommer, Christoffell, Dreyer, Weyer, Kruse & Altmann Prussia/Germany/Australia/Queensland/USA.

Offline Swaggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Familienarchiv Papsdorf since/ seit 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 December 07 21:07 GMT (UK) »
G'day,
new (old) cemeteries are online:
1. Angle Grove/ S.A.,
2. Tabor/ VIC,
processing: Lights Pass - Immanuel.
... und tschuess ...
Detlef
www.familienarchiv-papsdorf.de
Project: german headstones in Australia
Saxony - Papsdorf researches worldwide - Project "German headstones in Australia"

Offline Swaggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
G'day,
the 50. cemetery is online:
Light Pass Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery (totally 5.167 headstone photos).
Beste Gruesse,
Detlef
Project: "german headstones in Australia"
Saxony - Papsdorf researches worldwide - Project "German headstones in Australia"

Offline Swaggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 December 07 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
with  cemetery No. 52 Light Pass Narrow Gate (Schmale Pforte) are 5.475 headstone photos of 7.410 interred persons and 2.519 surnames online.
A "big bug" has been perceived: entering a surname (or a given name, date ec.) in the search field on top right of our cemetery site did only show persons with a maiden name. (This search field scans all entered cemeteries for surnames ec. and might be quite important.) A little bit of handwork has to be done in the next days  :o to erase this "bug", but the cemeteries "Habermann Private" and "Light Pass Narrow Gate" are working without any mistake right now.
Beste Gruesse,
Detlef

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 December 07 00:59 GMT (UK) »
ok fellow researchers they are back online:

http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/FamilyHistory/Photos/index.htm

they were off line for a couple of months apparently a problem with their modem, but now back and running.

seasons greeting to all

len & bev brauer
Brauer, Eggersdorff, Sommer, Christoffell, Dreyer, Weyer, Kruse & Altmann Prussia/Germany/Australia/Queensland/USA.

Offline peterb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 December 07 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Detlef,

In English the Light Pass Narrow Gate is called "Strait Gate". You may wonder why a tiny village like Light Pass has two Lutheran Churches. I have been told that the congregation split acrimoniously. I was also told that some of those who left moved their dead with them to the new Church yard.

PeterB
Berry Ripley Hedley Wilkinson
Stringer Wright Plummer Wilson
Clay Wilkinson Rhodes Dalby
Wilson Ormond Leach Barker                                                                                                                        http://berry-family.rootschat.net/

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swaggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 December 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
G'day Peter,
thanks for the hint concerning the correct name of the Light Pass cemetery. Meanwhile I did meliorate the homepage.
The splitting of Lutheran congregations into two (sometimes three and four) seems to be a typical phenomenon of the early Lutheran settlement in OZ - and it lasted for more than 120 years! After having left the compulsions of Friedrich Wilhelm III, king of Prussia, to melt the Lutheran church with the unifying church of Prussia (in priciple a well meant and reasonable but badly explained and quite awkwardly and despoticly pushed through idea), some of those (old) Lutherans turned out to be quite susceptible for religious gushers and their ideals (Krumnow) on the one site and more conservative ones on the other. Themes like "chiliasm" (the theory of the 1000 years Holy Kingdom) were true matters of conflictions as the divisiveness of Kavel and Fritzsche show. Apart of these, the unknown, unusual and unfamiliar freedom in the new country might have supported the forming of sects.
But even in the old Prussian regime the "old" Lutheran were looked upon as being oldfashioned and not up to date. I suppose, the truth of it all like usually lies in the middle of it all...
Beste Gruesse,
Detlef

Offline Swaggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 December 07 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello to the South!
Finally the "big bug" on our cemetery site was killed: the search function on top right of the main page now allows to search for names (surnames, given ones), localities ec. in all worked out cemeteries - why not giving this function a try?
www.familienarchiv-papsdorf.de/ozcemeteries.htm
Ein Frohes Weihnachtsfest wuenscht
Detlef   

Offline lensgarden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Brauer Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 December 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
g'day detlef,

dunno mate the link you have featured is that the main page?

if so i can't see a search function top right when i open it? maybe it's me and monday mornings lol?

len