Author Topic: RIC Barracks in Roscommon in 1890-1915  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Murtagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RIC Barracks in Roscommon in 1890-1915
« on: Saturday 03 February 07 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I have relatives who were constables in the RIC in the period of 1881-1919.  I cannot find them on a census in 1901.  I know my great grandfather was in Roscommon then.  Does anyone know where the census is for the constables?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mary Sparks
USA

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RIC Barracks in Roscommon in 1890-1915
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 February 07 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Mary,
The full names of RIC members were not given in 1901, only their initials. A search might be possible on the Leitrim-Roscommon site, see item 10 on the Census Home Page.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/

Offline Murtagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 07 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Coolcam,
Thanks.  I already checked that site.  I know my Great Grandfather was a constable till 1918.  But I cannot find him (initials) in that census.  I was hoping someone knew where the barracks was located.  Frustrating!  I put in a request of his pension records and they can't find them!  Irish records are so hard to come by...to know that they should be there is so frustrating.  My great uncle was killed while lying in his bunk in his barracks on Dec. 26, 1919.  And this pension record could have told me if the parents were at least compensated for the comrade who shot him.  Would you know if there are any newspapers at that time.  Maybe there would be a record of it.  Or do you know if there is any inquest records available?  Would love to see them.  His service record was altered....notation erased and written over with "shot accidentally by comrade".  Wonder what really happened.
Mary

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 07 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Mary,
Must admit, I know nothing about Constabulary records. Was under the perhaps mistaken impression that most members were posted to areas distant from their home.

Will list what you probably know already, having requested pension details. John Grenham has the service registers of the RIC being in the National Archives (HO 184), Kew, London, with filmed copies in the National Archives of Ireland and LDS Family History Library. There is an index to the registers in a book by Jim Herlihy, ‘The Royal Irish Constabulary: a complete alphabetical list of officers and men, 1816-1922’, available from the LDS, it includes Service Numbers.

Irish Newspaper Archives Ltd. have put some historical newspapers online. The (free) search facility results can be obscure. The Roscommon Herald was founded in 1859, it may be worth enquiring with them regarding inquest details.
www.roscommonherald.com

Best Wishes and Good Luck.
Coolcam

Offline Murtagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Coolcam.

Yes, you are right that they were stationed at counties that they had no connection with.  I know his service record.  He was listed from 1881 to 1917.  He was in Sligo when he married.  And Roscommon after.  I don't understand why I can't find him in the census.  My Uncle told me he had 5 children.  I only know of four.  Trying to learn the fifth.  I rented films at LDS for birth indexes and searching all the years he would have children.  Worth a try.  Thanks for your help.
Mary

Offline pagett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 07 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

New to this site today and just came across your posting.  Mr own relatives were Roscommon RIC - I got in contact with Jim Herlihy (who is currently a Garda in Cork and one of the most interesting people one could chat with!). If you want his details you can email me at

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You

Offline Murtagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 07 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Pagett,
I e-mailed Mr. Herlihy a few months back but received no reply.  He probably is asked for so much help, he can't respond to all.
I would absolutely love to chat with the man.  I was told he is an expert on the subject.  I had two RICs in my family.  My Great Grandfather and his son. 
Thanks for the suggestion,
Mary

Offline pagett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 07 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I will call him later this evening and remind him to respond!  May I ask the name of your ancestors in question?

Hazel.

Offline Murtagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 07 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Hazel,
You know him!?  Wow.  My ancestors are Thomas Murtagh - 1881-1918 service. and Wm. James Murtagh 1917-1919.  Wm. James Murtagh was shot in his barracks "accidentally" by comrade. 
Thank you so much,
Mary