Author Topic: DARRIE: researching this unusual name  (Read 23414 times)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DARRIE: researching this unusual name
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
The Allerton mystery continues! Unfortunately his brother Robert and [perhaps a brother, William] died before 1855 so there is no record from any other certificate as to where they were born. I wonder if Robert c1737 was a soldier as sometimes families travelled with the regiment and children were baptised in the county where they happened to be at the time.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, just found your notes reference "Darrie"
I have at least 40 from that name on my tree from late 17th century till modern times.
George Darrie (1854) and Anthony (1858) married two Bain sisters, Elizabeth and Jane(1877 & 1876) I think for marriage dates., in Greenlaw & Whitsome respectively.

George and Anthony from Fishwick Farm, Hutton, Berwickshire.

Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline theresa3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: researching this unusual name
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:25 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is interested I have a photo of Robert Thorburn's and Jean Darrie's gravestone.
Rae

Hi Rae,

I have this family in my tree and would love to have a photo of their gravestone.  First time using this site do you need my email address.

Regards - Terri

Offline theresa3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: researching this unusual name
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi publover,

Have MI of Robert Thorburn & Jean Darrie at Coldingham if of interest.

Son Robert ca 1809 married Janet Nairn ca 1836 Coldingham and their daughter Jane Marion ca 1839 married a Andrew Aitchison 1864 Coldingham, he is son of Hugh Aitchison & Isobel Wait, Isobel is in my wife's tree.

Would like to have a copy of the MI as I have this family in my tree.

Thanks - Terri

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,
The photo is too large to attach. Please don't put your email on this message board. I think once you have posted 3 messages you can send/receive private messages. When you can do this I can get your email address and forward the photo on to you.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline theresa3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rae,

Thanks for that, I am new to the site and was not sure how it all works. I do have a few queries that I need answed and will do this over the weekend.

regards - terri

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terri,
I received your p.m. and have sent you one back.
I will pleased to answer any questions. In case you haven't found it you click the message at the top of the page next to your name - where it says 'welcome back ....'. Sorry if you knew this already!
Rae

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 November 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky,
Is the place not called Allanton or is there also an Allerton? I had wondered if that could have been where he was born but that is certainly not in Northumberland!

There is a tiny hamlet in north Northumberland called Alwinton - pronounced "Allanton" - which of course can easily be confused with Allanton in Scotland. My Stephenson ancestors in Roxburghshire and East Lothian came originally from Alwinton and I recently visited the place for the first time, after about 30 years of genealogical research. It's high up in Coquetdale, near Rothbury.

Harry

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 November 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Harry,
Another one to add to the collection. They could very well have come from that area so will get on to that now.
Rae