Author Topic: Death in the workhouse  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in the workhouse
« on: Sunday 04 February 07 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know much about workhouse rules?

I've just read this as there is a chance one of my relatives died in the workhouse

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?StSaviour/StSaviour.shtml. Follow the link on the left entitled "workhouse life" and click on the section "death"

It seems to imply that an inmate wasn't always admitted to a workhouse in his/her own parish. I aways assumed that anyone unable to live by their own means could only be admitted to a workhouse in the parish in which they lived?
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death in the workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 07 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Is this the part you refer to?
If this did not happen, which was often the case because of the expense, the Guardians arranged a burial in a local cemetery or burial ground — this was originally required to be in the parish where the workhouse stood, but later rules allowed it to be the deceased's own parish if they or their relatives had expressed such a wish.

You don't mention the date but I suspect that this refers to the situation after the 1834 Poor Law act which enabled individual parishes to merge into Poor Law Unions; new, much larger, workhouses were then built serving a number of parishes so the workhouse would not necessarily be in the parish from which the individual came.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
yes,

it would be around 1897
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry a bit late in the day but I am new to Rootschat and only just seen your thread.

I have an ancestor (would have been a great aunt) who died in Hull Workhouse in 1903.  She and her siblings were orphaned in 1901 and I had been trying to find them (one was my grandfather so I'd got him from 1908 onwards).  I wasn't having any luck until I thought I'd look for marriages and then deaths.  I don't know if that means that all the siblings went to the workhouse or only the younger ones.  There are still 2 to trace, the eldest who was 21 when orphaned and the youngest who was about 8.

Liz

ps.  My great aunt died aged 13 from Cardiac Dropsy whatever that is.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
My great aunt died aged 13 from Cardiac Dropsy whatever that is.

Oedema due to heart failure.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 07 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bill, poor thing.  I don't know if she lived in the workhouse, or just died in the workhouse infirmary.

Liz