Author Topic: L/U POW's World War 1, Austin & Harry Fletcher  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
L/U POW's World War 1, Austin & Harry Fletcher
« on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone assist with this tester?

Apparently two of my Great Uncles:
Austin & Harry Fletcher (brothers) were taken prisoner of War in the 1914-1918 War (according to my Aunt).
Iv'e looked on the medal roll and their are 3 Austin's and loads of Harry's!
but their is a Austin & Harry Fletcher in the ARMY VETERINARY CORPS, would they have joined the same unit? possibly/probably?

They lived in the Coleford/Forest of Dean/Monmouth area prior to the War.

Is it possible to confirm this?

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: L/U POW's World War 1, Austin & Harry Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:14 GMT (UK) »
You might see if they were on the 1901 census - sounds as though they should be. were they old enough to work - if so what work did they do? Not old enough? What work did their father do?
Most soldiers in the RAVC had animal husbandry experience prior to enlistment.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 04 21:30 GMT (UK) »
If you have/can locate an address for them - check with the local archives/library in the area - sometimes electoral rolls published 1918/1919 listed absent voters with regimental numbers and regiments.  Electoral registers are usually published in Chronological order but alphabetical street directories may be a short cut to the likely addresses.

Also, some local areas collected information on WW1 "soldiers" and published them in the local newspapers during the period of the war - again check with the local library/archives in the area concerned.  Some boroughs also collected details on those wounded and taken POW as well as fatalities.

I have seen - but unfortunately can't remember exactly what it is called - a published book that lists enquiries received by the Red Cross for "missing persons" during WW1.  Will do some "surfing" and see if I can come up with the name of the book

Good Luck

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 04 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hackstaple/Casalguidi
Thankyou for responding

If Austin Richard Fletcher aged 21 as seen in the 1901 census of Rochdale, Lancs is my Austin and if his brother Harry aged 18 in the same census are the two people i'm looking for ?
Austin was a Blacksmith, Harry wasn't!
so...It could be them?

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 04 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryant

There are some amazing records at the National Archives on this subject - each POW who returned to the UK after WW1 was interviewed and the record of the interview exists.  Tragically, my great great uncle died while a prisoner, but I have found out information about the camp in which he was held by consulting War Office and Foreign Office records.  Have a look at the research leaflet here - http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=21

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 04 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Very logical for a blacksmith to be used in the RAVC as a farrier. I would just be  a little worried now - you had them as coming from the Forest of Dean but the census shows them born at Newton Heath - Lancs. Why did you have that idea?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 04 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hackstaple
Its a long story, but basically I can't find Austin Fletcher my gr grandfather and father of Leah Fletcher my grandmother in the forest area. My aunt (Leah's daughter) said Leah was born on the 20th April 1903 in the Forest of Dean area. No cert exists with the GRO. Leah had a brother named Austin and one named Harry as well as one called Jack and a sister called Lil.
Samuel Fletcher (son of Shallum Fletcher) is the father of Austin Richard Fletcher (1881 census Newton, Lancs), and his younger brother Harry is seen with Austin in the 1891 census at Thornham, Lancs living with Grandfather/Grandmother. No sign of father Samuel or mother Ann.

In 1901 Austin & Harry still live with grandfather Shallum (grandmother has died) in Rochdale, Lancs. Austin is 21 and Harry 18. ARE THESE TWO MY GRANDMOTHERS BROTHERS ? and they moved to the Forest area after Austin married Emily Butterworth in 1901?

In 1927 when my grandmother married Frederick Powell her father was stated as being Austin Fletcher.

BUT THEIR IS SOMETHING FUNNY GOING ON  ???

I need a birth cert of one of Leah,s brothers or sister to confirm my theory or blow it sky high!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 04 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Can you be certain that the Leah FLETCHER birth registered March Q 1903 Salford RD isn't yours?  It's not far out ...............

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Casalguidi

To be honest "I haven't a clue"  ???
Does a birth cert exist for my Leah ? if it does? she wasn't born anywhere near the Forest! and she wasn't born when she said she was, unless the birth wasn't registered!
and she didn't have any other christian names of that my Aunt is sure.

Salford is back in Lancashire and this Leah born March qtr of 1903 could well be 24 by the end of January 1927  :-\

When Leah Fletcher married Frederick Powell on the 30th January 1927 she said she was 22 years old, "IF" this was true she was born after the 30th January 1904.

I have the two birth certs below!

1/ Their was only one Leah Fletcher recorded at the GRO in 1904 and she was born on the 29th November 1903 at 3 Court, Sidney Street, Wolverhampton, father Henry Fletcher (occ Blacksmith Striker), mother Leah Fletcher (formerly Golder).
2/ Their was only one Leah Fletcher recorded at the GRO in 1905 and she was born on the 23rd May 1905 at 23 Higher Duke Street, Newton, North Manchester, Lancs, father John Fletcher (occ Railway Shunter), mother Rosannah Fletcher (formerly Higgins).

Regards
Bryant