Author Topic: What is a cotton doubler please?  (Read 13106 times)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What is a cotton doubler please?
« on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:21 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors is described as a 'Cotton Doubler' on the 1881 census and I was wondering what that particular job entailed.

I did a Rootschat search and found loads of census info. with people's occupations down as cotton doublers - but no explanation about the job.

My ancestor lived in Nuneaton, Warwickshire - which, as far as I'm aware (but I might be wrong here  ;D) was not a town with cotton mills.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received  :)

Maggie

I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is a cotton doubler please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:34 GMT (UK) »
DOUBLING: (I) The process of combining two or more strands of ROVING or SLIVER and drawing out the resulting strand. The purpose of this operation is to increase the uniformity of the cotton strand and, ultimately of the YARN made from it. (II) The act of winding two or more strands of YARN onto one PACKAGE without twisting them.
DOUBLING MACHINE: A machine which folds cloth to half or quarter of its original width.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yonderpeasant

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • be with you in a minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 February 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
try
Nuneaton Online
for cotton doubler.Nuneaton was mainly in silk but there is a mill here.

Moderator comment: URL altered to act as a link
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Ridgway.  
 Salop.Lancs.Stoke on Trent.
Colclough.Ackley.Adams.Harris.James
 Longton  Stoke on trent Staffs.
Scholes.Collinge
 Middleton Lancs.
Gogerty.Deavonporte
Salop.

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 February 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan for the definition - it makes more sense now  :)

Thank you yonderpeasant for the web site - there's loads of interesting stuff on it.

Maggie  :)
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 07 18:16 GMT (UK) »
My set of old occupations defines a doubler as someone who operates a machine which twists two or more strands of cotton fibre together to form a thread.  I think this is probably the same as Stan's first definition.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 February 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David - it does sound like a similar definition to Stan's. 

I feel that I am more knowledgable on the subject of cotton doubling now  ;)

Maggie  :)