Author Topic: John Rennie ship - London to Queensland in 1873  (Read 17173 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Rennie ship - London to Queensland in 1873
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi! And welcome to rootschat.

My husband's great great grandfather Walter Robert Leigh was a brother of Elizabeth Packman. Great to make contact with another member of the extended family. Which of their children is your husband descended from?

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline chutch55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deidre My husband's grandfather was Daniel Edward Packman who was one of the children born to Henry and Elizabeth Packman once they arrived in Sydney.  Great to make contact and looking forward to any further information anyone can provide. 

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have you found much info? I've found Walter and Elizabeth's parents but it's probably easier to give you info by private message. You need to post 3 messages before you can use the PM facility so reply to this message and then we can chat.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline chutch55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 December 15 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deidre,  I am slowly working through both sides of our families.  I have not got anything for Elizabeth's parents or her siblings so if you do have information that would be great.  I need to work out how to PM but that sounds great, if you are willing to share.  I have found a couple of small articles about the John Rennie in Trove but not sure if you have seen them as I think some of the links were on previous posts.  I have got a bit further on the Packman side but not sure if that is of interest to you.
Regards, Catherine

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 December 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

You can use the PM facility now you've made 3 posts..... see the link:
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Elizabeth's parents were Richard Leigh (1817-1851) and Sarah nee White (1817-1845). Sarah died when Walter, their 4th child, was only 6 months old, leaving Richard with 4 children under 7. Richard died less than 6 years later, having had 2 more children with a woman called Martha - they don't appear to have married, though she does refer to herself as Martha Leigh, widow. It was quite a shock when I first found her in the 1851 census as a 25 year old widow with 6 children aged from 13 downwards :o).

Elizabeth's story seems nice and straightforward, but the same can't be said for Walter ::). I'll PM you later with more details but if you want some insight into the problems I've faced with Walter, and the amazing help I've had on RootsChat, enter Walter Robert Leigh into the search facility on here and you'll find a number of topics in various parts of the UK.

I've just realised that I've been in touch with another descendant of Daniel Edward Packman (or Edward Daniel Packman?) on Ancestry. She may well have more info on both sides of the family.

I have also received a copy of the diary of the voyage of the John Rennie in 1873 which was the original subject of this topic. I'll have to look for it though as it was saved on my old computer!

Deirdre

Offline SarahJHellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 March 18 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane,

I also had an ancestor on the John Rennie. Her name was Mary J McCormick, aged 16 under the free passenger list.

I would love to know more about the voyage.

regards
Sarah

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 March 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Have you got an email address so I can send some things to you like the diary for that voyage?

Best wishes

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline SarahJHellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 March 18 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana,
Yes, how do I message you? I don't seem to 'have access'. I'm totally new to this site!
Thanks
Sarah

Offline SarahJHellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 March 18 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana,
I think I PMed you!
Regards
Sarah