Author Topic: Ridley from Haltwhistle  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ridley from Haltwhistle
« on: Wednesday 07 February 07 00:11 GMT (UK) »
More names to look for. I am trying to get a lead on A john Ridley who was born in Haltwhistle about 1836. I  have him on census. In 1881 he was at Walwick  with his wife Isabella nee Bird, and the children were Mary A 16, Robert, 14, Elizabeth 10, Isalbel 7, Julia 4 and Thoas 1. Thomas was listed as Grandson on the 1891 census and I think he may have been born to daughter Margaret. I have the marriage of John and Isabel there is no father, but the witnesses were Charlton and Julia Charlton, and I think they may have been cousin, I also think Julia MAY have been John's sister but can't find any evidence of that. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Twiggy

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Ridley from Haltwhistle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Twiggy, dont know if this is any help? Census very hard to decipher.

Living ?  Brigg? Haltwhistle HO107/2416/221/16

Thomas Ridley h.m. 45 Ag Lab Farmer of 5 acres b Haltwistle
Ann wife 43 b Lambley?
John  son 12 b Haltwistle
Mary dau 10 b       "
Thomas son 8 b     "
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 01:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 there is a John Ridley 24 un servant a Carter b Haltwhistle living West Hill Mills, Haydon, does not help with his sister though.  RG9/3863/24/14
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 17:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a John Ridley baptised in Haltwhistle 13 Dec 1835 with a mother of Margaret and no father.  This might be why there was no father on the marriage certifcate.

There is a Julia Ridley baptised 10 Feb 1832 with a mother's name of Margaret--no father.  Also a Thomas 19 Sept 1819 with a mother Margaret-no father, same with Elizabeth baptised 8 March 1816.

Just some more names to go with.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 07 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all who replied to my query on Ridley. I am sure the John born in 1835 is the one I am looking for. I think Julia had the same mother, and Charlton's mother was Margaret, and I think Ann and Margaret may have ben sisters. I will do a bit more digging and see what I can find.
Twiggy