Author Topic: 77th Regiment England and Ireland  (Read 1663 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
77th Regiment England and Ireland
« on: Wednesday 07 February 07 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

I have been given very old and rather vague handwritten information about my OH's ancestors in Ireland [- I quote

John KELLY b. 1780 - Rifle Corps Denmark 1807, Joined 1808, Quartermaster 1808, Paymaster 1810  77th     Rank of Captain not convinced. 77th Regt also  ? RIC

John KELLY died in Ireland in 1824 but the handwritten info about his children William PF, born 1803, Kent, John born 1804 Sussex, and Henry George, born 1808 Hampshire, makes me now wonder if John b. 1780  was English not Irish.  I have managed to find the chn's RIC service records or at least an index confirming the dates of birth, dates of enlistment to the RIC and place of birth.  Henry George KELLY b. 1808 emigrated to Australia in 1857 and the family have insisted he was born in Cork - information taken from an old newspaper - obituary of his son William Henry in 1918 and this information has become "official".

I have downloaded some information on the history of 77th Regiment that appeared to be based at ?Middlesex, and it included info that it landed on Sept 8, 1814 in Cork where they were for the next six years. This fact may account for my OH's family stating that they are Irish and born in Cork. 

I am very ignorant of all things military but have tried to research if this is the 77th Regiment that John KELLY would have belonged to.  Is there anywhere or way I can confirm this?   The family that is left here in Australia seem to think that John KELLY b. 1780 was only in the RIC - and may have joined in 1808 not the 77th Regiment  - RIC  did not form until 1816  ???

Sorry to have rambled on but I really don't know where to go from here. ;D

All help appreciated.

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk