Author Topic: David Little married 1746  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
David Little married 1746
« on: Wednesday 07 February 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all.
Some advice may solve my problem but if not a look up would be very much appreciated :)

I am trying to help someone who is related to a Litle family from Canonbie.  Much of this family has been researched before and there are even sites on the net which cover it in a lot of detail. Try googling evnlie.  That is the correct spelling.

Apparently John Little of Crookholm married Janet Johnstooune of Evnlie in 1746.   No parish is given.  This ought to come up on a search of ScotlandsPeople for OPR Births/Baptisms. I've searched using full names (and variations) for both.  I've tried using wildcards and single letter forenames eg  Li* and Ly* plus D.  I am not limiting the marriage year particularly say 1739 to 1760.  But nothing turns up that is remotely like the event I'm searching for.   From the way that the information is given it appears that the researcher has read the record.  Later members of the family can be found - in Canonbie.  The mother of my Canadian contact remembers mention of Langholm as being the town 'they' went to.   Many descendants of this David and Janet emigrated to Canada.

What seems to be taxing eveyone is the whereabouts of Evnlie?    To me this is almost certainly a transcription error.

The two questions please:-
Can anybody advise on the best way of searching SP to obtain this marriage?
If not, is it possible that somebody could look for it in Canonbie - only - in the actual OPR. please?
No timescale.  If it is too much to ask please tell me.   I have a feeling that Evnlie may be Airnlee.  Crookholm and A(i)rnlee are about a mile apart within Canonbie.

Regards
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Little married 1746
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Stupid question from me  :P given that the lines have been well researched from what you say. How certain is the name Janet for John Little's wife. I can see submitted entries on IGI (nothing at all for actual extracts) for a Mary Johnston and a Margaret J, both marrying a John Little. Same date/ place for the marriage, makes me think that somebody wasn't sure of the name and then other entries may have been submitted further down the line by somebody else with different info.

The Mary wife is interesting as her children are showing on IGI as actual extracts and the spellings are as you have shown. For example, below is one of their children's entries:

HELEN LITLE     Christening:  02 FEB 1751   Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland
Parents: Father: JOHN LITLE    Mother: MARY JOHNSTOUNE

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: David Little married 1746
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Certainly not a stupid question from you, Monca  :)  - more a stupid error from me  :D
For John Little please read David Little.  I've changed the Subject but I'm not sure if that will result in a new topic or simply an amended subject heading..

Sorry folks  :)

The same source refers to two children of David :D  Little and Jannet Johnstone.  SP provides for a baptism of a John Little to David Little and Janet Johnston in Canonbie in 1747. (25th January).  The other son mentioned was a James who was born/baptised in 1750 but no apparent record.

Thanks for pointing out the error in a very friendly way  :) :)

Regards
Reiver

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

I think that you were right first time  :)

There is a marriage/banns for John Little and Mary Johnstone 18 Nov 1746 in Hutton and Corrie, Dumfriesshire - Ref - 831 10 66.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver and Gadget

Someone had done a HUGE amount of research on these lines as am sure you have seen Reiver but I'll post for ref. here:

http://history.earthsci.carleton.ca/harvey/genealogy/familypdfs/little.pdf

Gadget, it does seen to be David and Janet.  The problem here is that there is no supporting OPR for the marriage which given the birth of son William is showing as 8 Aug 1743 (also submitted) is open to question regarding year. For the three known sons, indeed also David and Janet, specific dates (day/ month) are being given in the above link. What the actual source for these are I don't know (wills/ MIs/ family bibles etc).

There is one entry for example on Scotlands People in the Wills and Testaments section for what could be David's father, also called David, testament:

Little   David   14/08/1738   in Langholm   Testament Dative and Inventory   Dumfries Commissary Court   CC5/6/10

Hard to say where this info has been sourced.

Regards.

Monica

Offline East London

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
wish culd be tht far back !

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
This is all very odd, Monica  ::)

It would seem that the info about the John/Mary marriage in 1746 has somehow got mixed up in/by Reiver's source - certainly the year and surnames are the same. The parish of Hutton and Corrie is just north of Tundergarth:

http://scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-dumfries.htm

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 07 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, Gadget et al
I think my initial basic error has led us down the John Little/Mary Johnstone path.

I was wanting to find a marriage between David Little and Janet Johnsone in 1746 -- but cannot via Scotlandspeople.  I found the baptism of a son John to David Little and Janet Johnstone in canonbie on 25th January 1747, the year given by my source (See Donlittle site below)

I have found the site which gives the source I've been working to.. This is in addition to the one that Monica listed.   It is www.donlittle.com/  The way it has been phrased on this site it would appear that a record of the event has been seen.  There is additional reference to the place Evnlie in the archives of the Rootsweb Roxburgh list.

Perhaps I'll order the Canonbie film at my local LDS centre  :)   

Regarrds
Reiver

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver

In your position, I would certainly start with the OPR films for Canonbie  :) 

At least then you can discount them as the source of the info.

Given that there are at least 3 sites that I have now seen on this Little family line, have you thought of contacting the site owners and asking about the source of their info?

Also, I don't know if you have this, but there are a number of siblings showing for David b. 1716 on IGI. A couple of entries at least are actual extracts from the OPRs.

In respect of Evnlie, have you thought to ask the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society about this? www.dgfhs.org.uk/

Let us know how you get on...I'm curious now...  ;)

Regards.

Monica